Question Can I mix these sets?

pootissandvichheavy

Commendable
Aug 19, 2018
I am currently using a set of 2x4 Corsair Vengeance memory (CMK8GX4M2B3200C16R), and I want to upgrade to a 2x8 Vengeance set (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16). I was thinking that it is possible simply because the part numbers match up perfectly aside from the color and amount of memory.

It would be a shame if I had to waste a perfectly good set. I was told I may be better off going dual channel as opposed to quad channel because I am on Ryzen, but I wanted to ask here before buying.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
They are the same spec RAM only in 4GB and 8GB variants. Check your BIOS you will see this.

4GB dual-channel
4GB dual-channel
8GB dual-channel
8GB dual-channel

Ryzen doesn't support quad-channel RAM.

Will if perform a little slower? Possible because it's harder to overclock 4X sticks vs 2X. If your running a 1 gen board 2X might run under XMP at 3200mhz but 4X would be 2999mhz, 2666mhz or even 2400mhz. You will need to refer to your motherboards spec listings on RAM support to see how it handles X4 sticks.

pootissandvichheavy

Commendable
Aug 19, 2018
They are the same spec RAM only in 4GB and 8GB variants. Check your BIOS you will see this.

4GB dual-channel
4GB dual-channel
8GB dual-channel
8GB dual-channel

Ryzen doesn't support quad-channel RAM.

Will if perform a little slower? Possible because it's harder to overclock 4X sticks vs 2X. If your running a 1 gen board 2X might run under XMP at 3200mhz but 4X would be 2999mhz, 2666mhz or even 2400mhz. You will need to refer to your motherboards spec listings on RAM support to see how it handles X4 sticks.
Sorry, I didn't necessarily mean quad-channel, I just meant running well together in all 4 slots. Like, Windows reads all memory, no compatibility issues, runs at the correct speed, etc.