Question Can i move installed games from C drive to D drive?

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I'm new to PC, is it possible to move game installations from one drive to another? I want to move a game from my C drive which is my main drive (ssd) to my d drive which is my Hdd. Can I just simply copy/cut and than paste it in my d drive to transfer it there?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
No you cannot necessarily just cut and paste, as your OS is tied to the locations of those files, move them, and you can cause issues. If they are portable games (ones that aren't installed directly) then they can simply be moved, assuming it does not affect you save game directory.

It also depends on what client you've used for the games, if it is Steam, then you can simply change the game location as shown here:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

What client games are they?

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Its not from steam or anything. Its actually from xbox game pass PC. I downloaded it because it had gears of war 5 on it but when I tried to install games on my d drive, which is my hdd, it said my default drive was my c drive (my ssd, main drive). But when I tried to change it to my d drive it said "this drive has apps from another drive. Before switching apps must be deleted" but I'm not sure what they mean will be deleted when this is the first time I'm using this xbox app.