Can i move my windows license from my hdd to a new ssd?

DarqFX

Reputable
Jan 7, 2017
My goal: to transport ONLY my windows license to the new ssd, i do not want to bring any files from my hdd onto the new drive.

I want to know if this is possible. Also whether my idea will work. Using the media creation tool for windows on a usb, would doing that on the new drive enable windows on it? Or would i have to find what my windows key is and use that? Appreciate any help.

Solution

ebay prices don't really count.
Is that new with 100% warranty verified?

New at Amazon (US):
SanDisk Ultra II 240GB - $75
Samsung 850 EVO - $105
Crucial MX500 - $73

Of those 3, I'd buy the Crucial.

And the list price today is not the same list price as tomorrow.
If you are using Win 10, disconnect your current HDD, install the SSD, use the media creation tool and log in with your MS account. It will then activate with it. Once done, reconnect your HDD. Please note that any applications will need to be reinstalled.

DarqFX

Reputable
Jan 7, 2017

Im confused why i need to reconnect my HDD? If doing that will activate windows on my ssd then why would i need to reconnect the hdd? If possible i dont want to use the hdd anymore, just the ssd alone

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

No interest in having a storage drive?

USAFRet

Titan

Installing the OS on a new drive in that same system...incurs no issue with the OS license.
Install it. It will activate once the system goes online later.

This is no different than just doing a reinstall on the same drive. The OS does not care which drive it lives on.

DarqFX

Reputable
Jan 7, 2017

what on earth is the OS tied to then? on this system ive changed motherboard before, which some are tied to, and now you're saying its not tied to a drive either?

USAFRet

Titan

The motherboard, mostly.
However, after Win 10 post 1607 Anniversary release, not even that. Sort of.
You can link that OS license to your MS account, and move it to a new motherboard.

But for just changing drives?
Absolutely no problem.

DarqFX

Reputable
Jan 7, 2017

I dont see a use for me personally. I dont download abundances of music or videos. The only thing the takes up storage for me is games, and even then, that only takes up 100-200 gb of space from a 500gb ssd

USAFRet

Titan
In any case...whatever you do or don't use the old drive for...connect it and wipe it of all partitions.

A year from now, someone is going to come across that old drive, and plug it into something, assuming it is blank.
Some system will try to boot from it, causing lots of confusion.

Leave a blank drive.

DarqFX

Reputable
Jan 7, 2017

thanks for help,if you can, i have another question regarding ssd's. On amazon there is a price difference between the sandisk ssd's and samsung ssd's. I know that immediately everyone flocks to samsung as its more mainstream but i want to know if paying £50+ more for the same size ssd is even worth it. Some have said they have the same speed but sandisk lacks in reliability, but i dont see this? If i go to reviews on sandisk, all i see is positive? I just dont want to spend more money if i could get the same exact job done for cheaper. Thanks

USAFRet

Titan

Which specific Samsung and Sandisk?
I have a few of both.

DarqFX

Reputable
Jan 7, 2017

SanDisk Ultra II SSD = ebay new for £56
Samsung 850 EVO = amazon new for £93
both in this case are 250gb for reference.

USAFRet

Titan

ebay prices don't really count.
Is that new with 100% warranty verified?

New at Amazon (US):
SanDisk Ultra II 240GB - $75
Samsung 850 EVO - $105
Crucial MX500 - $73

Of those 3, I'd buy the Crucial.

And the list price today is not the same list price as tomorrow.

Solution