[SOLVED] Can I move windows and info from a larger hdd to a smaller ssd

Nov 15, 2019
Im working on a Christmas gift for my wife.. Computer came with a 1 tb hhd (5400) and I added a SSD 512GB m.2 I would like to move ALL info from hdd to ssd for faster windows . What's the best way to do this and best software. I was going to back up to a external ssd then recover to laptops ssd? What's the best way to accomplish this ?

Solution
I

1 - Its a new laptop nothing is on but windows and updates and HP programs that came with it. Nothing added since new.
2 SSD ia an HP SSD EX920 M.2 PCI Express NVMexpress
If it is a brand new laptop, don't do any clone operation.
Just do a new install on the SSD.

If at all possible, disconnect the HDD when you do this install.

Nov 15, 2019
I
This can almost certainly be done, but first, how much space is consumed on the current 1TB drive?

Second, make/model of the new SSD?

Third, is this a desktop or laptop?
1 - Its a new HP laptop
  1. Nothing is on but windows and updates and HP programs that came with it. Nothing added since new.
  2. SSD ia an HP SSD EX920 M.2 PCI Express NVMexpress

USAFRet

Titan
I

1 - Its a new laptop nothing is on but windows and updates and HP programs that came with it. Nothing added since new.
2 SSD ia an HP SSD EX920 M.2 PCI Express NVMexpress
If it is a brand new laptop, don't do any clone operation.
Just do a new install on the SSD.

If at all possible, disconnect the HDD when you do this install.

Solution
Nov 15, 2019
No cds came with laptop. Everything preloaded. If windows and driver would have came with it, it would have been easy pesy . It was a refurbished I got it from Newegg..HP 17-ca0064cl 17.3" Touchscreen Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 Notebook PC Computer 12GB 1TB Ryzen 5 Touch screen