Can I oc a Pentium G3258 to 4.6ghz with stock fan?

yellowpois0n

Reputable
May 11, 2014
Hey tomshardware! I have finally made a build that im 110% positive im going to stick with, it fits my budget, and it just so perfect. However, the cpu is okayish (for a budget build) and the first thing im going to do it is OC, because thats what its known for and becomes a beast. Im wondering if I can OC it to 4.6ghz or even 4.1ghz with a stock fan and maintain stable temperatures.
Here is my build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ytNqwP

I could add a after market cooler, but id really prefer using stock fan.

Solution
I have experimented with my G3258 and the stock cooler.
Yes, it will oc well, but the stock cooler gets noisy under load and will probably run you out of temperature headroom before you run out of vcore capability.
I use a small noctua cooler in a ITX case.
The G3258 runs at 4.3 with a vcore of 1.20.
It would not bother me to run at vcore of 1.25 or even 1.30 That would probably give you close to your 4.6.
I run at 4.3 because it is really all I need; It is a VERY capable chip.
I don't want the added noise to run higher.

Chips vary considerably, but unless you win the bin lottery and get a golden chip, I think 4.4 is most likely what you can get with the stock cooler.

If you can, wait and see how you do. You can always replace the...
I have experimented with my G3258 and the stock cooler.
Yes, it will oc well, but the stock cooler gets noisy under load and will probably run you out of temperature headroom before you run out of vcore capability.
I use a small noctua cooler in a ITX case.
The G3258 runs at 4.3 with a vcore of 1.20.
It would not bother me to run at vcore of 1.25 or even 1.30 That would probably give you close to your 4.6.
I run at 4.3 because it is really all I need; It is a VERY capable chip.
I don't want the added noise to run higher.

Chips vary considerably, but unless you win the bin lottery and get a golden chip, I think 4.4 is most likely what you can get with the stock cooler.

If you can, wait and see how you do. You can always replace the cooler, a $30 cm hyper212 is not a bad deal.

FWIW
I will never again build without a ssd for the "C" drive. It makes everything you do much quicker.
120gb is minimum, it will hold the os and a handful of games. If you can go 240gb, you may never need a hard drive.
I don't.
I would defer on the hard drive unless you need to store large files such as video's.
It is easy to add a hard drive later.
Samsung EVO is a good choice.
Intel is OK too.

Solution