Question Can i oc my 16 gb hyper x fury black

Aug 2, 2019
Hi can i oc my ram hyper x fury 16gb ddr4 2400mhz, on my board msi z370 gaming pro carbon, with my cpu pentium gold g5400, if my cpu support just 2400 ram?

You can try and get it to run at higher mhz than 2400, but it wont be easy and will take some tinkering. There is a reason that RAM is rated at 2400mhz because that is what it was tested at. If it could go higher and be stable, then it would be rated higher.

Intel CPUs do not scale much in performance with higher speed RAM. So getting it to run at 2666 or 2933 really wont give you any benefit. Your 2400mhz is just fine.

Well, for the most part it's possible to OC a lot of components, with the right mobo. You have a good mobo, so the answer is yes!

There are one or two ways to increase performance. You can either tighten timings to make the DIMMS run slightly faster at stock speed (2400mhz). By tightening the timings you can get more performance.

The other way is to go for more speed. Which means loosening timings (most of the time) and increasing the voltage supplied to the DIMMS to increase the actual speed at which they operate. Example being my own generic ram. It's rated at 2400mhz, but I have it running at 2733mhz.

In both cases, you 'may' have to increase memory voltage and/or the SOC voltage a notch or two so that the DIMMS are stable. If they are not stable they can crash games, prevent the PC from starting up properly amongst other things.

You can test the settings you try with memtest86+ (this will be put on a bootable USB stick and run outside of the windows environment).

Last edited:
Reactions: Xhej
You can try and get it to run at higher mhz than 2400, but it wont be easy and will take some tinkering. There is a reason that RAM is rated at 2400mhz because that is what it was tested at. If it could go higher and be stable, then it would be rated higher.

Intel CPUs do not scale much in performance with higher speed RAM. So getting it to run at 2666 or 2933 really wont give you any benefit. Your 2400mhz is just fine.

Agree with you on all your points.

This is a great guide for OC for beginners and those who think they are seasoned OC'ers, but may have 'forgotten the face of their fathers' (silly quote that not many will recognise :) ) and by that I mean, learned some bad habbits. It's quite comprehensive, but if you look through it there is a subsection on OC memory. It will be very useful to you, and will explain how to create a bootable USB with memtest, and how to test your ram for stability should you decide to OC it.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/cpu-overclocking-guide-and-tutorial-for-beginners.3347428/

Kudos to @Darkbreeze. I love this guide.

Im looking in the guide and i making manual with bootable usb

Cool.

The best advise I can give, is to follow these guides and really learn what to do and how to do it.

You have decent set of DIMMS. I would be pretty sure they can at least go two strap higher (2666mhz) or perhaps three straps (2733). Just remember, each set of DIMMS (or component ) are different from the next, even if they are the same model. Just because you might get the right speed with one set, doesn't mean the other set will achieve the same. It's trial and error. Only WE ourselves can determine that, by OC'ing in a logical way, that has repeatable, sustainable results. Following comprehensive guides are a way to do it, so that your results will bring you what you want to achieve.