Can i oc my 6300 to 4.5ghz wit this mobo ?

Samletemknow

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
i have a fx-6300 and a gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3 mobo and have gotten oc to 4.2ghz wit a shitty cooler . i wuld try higher but im gonna get a much better cooler and then see if i can hit my target (4.5ghz) i dont plan on keeping the 6300 for too long maybe a lil less than a year so i wna get the most out of dis thing while i still have it

Solution
Compatible, yes, but I do not recommend AIO coolers.
I am speculating that zen and AM4 will be effective for servers and multithreaded apps and not so good for gaming where individual clock speed prevails. We will see there.

My canned rant on liquid cooling:
------------------------start of rant-------------------
You buy a liquid cooler to be able to extract an extra multiplier or two out of your OC.
How much do you really need?
I do not much like all in one liquid coolers when a good air cooler like a Noctua or phanteks can do the job just as well.
A liquid cooler will be expensive, noisy, less reliable, and will not cool any better
in a well ventilated case.
Liquid cooling is really air cooling, it just puts the heat exchange in...

Samletemknow

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016

i was thinkin on an h60 but if i get am4 this year u think it will be compatible with those mbs?

Compatible, yes, but I do not recommend AIO coolers.
I am speculating that zen and AM4 will be effective for servers and multithreaded apps and not so good for gaming where individual clock speed prevails. We will see there.

My canned rant on liquid cooling:
------------------------start of rant-------------------
You buy a liquid cooler to be able to extract an extra multiplier or two out of your OC.
How much do you really need?
I do not much like all in one liquid coolers when a good air cooler like a Noctua or phanteks can do the job just as well.
A liquid cooler will be expensive, noisy, less reliable, and will not cool any better
in a well ventilated case.
Liquid cooling is really air cooling, it just puts the heat exchange in a different place.
The orientation of the radiator will cause a problem.
If you orient it to take in cool air from the outside, you will cool the cpu better, but the hot air then circulates inside the case heating up the graphics card and motherboard.
If you orient it to exhaust(which I think is better) , then your cpu cooling will be less effective because it uses pre heated case air.
And... I have read too many tales of woe when a liquid cooler leaks.
google "H100 leak"
I would support an AIO cooler only in a space restricted case.
-----------------------end of rant--------------------------

Your pc will be quieter, more reliable, and will be cooled equally well with a decent air cooler.

Solution

Samletemknow

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016

lol last question . recommended air cooler sub 50$?