[SOLVED] Can i Oc my i3 6100 with a h110 motherboard?

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
I know that this CPU is a non k but after i watch a guy on yt saying that this CPU is over clockable i was excited and then he said Z170 which i immediately got disappointed, but that got me thinking is it possible to oc this CPU with a h110 Mobo?

Solution
Why people post wrong information is beyond me.

Here: my own i3-6100 @4.6 overclock

https://hwbot.org/submission/3187846_damric_cpu_frequency_core_i3_6100_4601.5_mhz

I don't think anyone has given the wrong info, TBH.

The first thing I checked reading your first post was your CPU-z rigs. That's a nice OC on the I3, but as others have mentioned, you're running a Z mobo and upping your bus speed for the OC. The OP specifically asked for his H110 mobo, which can't do that. That's why I said an upgrade, in this case to a Z mobo like yours, would be needed. With that said, I'm not advocating the OP buy a new mobo for an already limited CPU with 4 c/t. Even if he was successful in OC it as you did, an increase in clockspeed...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Technically you need a K skew CPU and a Z motherboard to perform CPU OC for Intel. I am not aware of, but there may well be a program out there along the lines of what Ryzen Master does for AMD, but for Intel.

Keep in mind that even if you can, you have to consider case airflow and your CPU cooler. I would not recommend even trying on a stock Intel cooler. They aren't the most robust option on the market.

Reactions: Giant Hunger

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
Technically you need a K skew CPU and a Z motherboard to perform CPU OC for Intel. I am not aware of, but there may well be a program out there along the lines of what Ryzen Master does for AMD, but for Intel.

Keep in mind that even if you can, you have to consider case airflow and your CPU cooler. I would not recommend even trying on a stock Intel cooler. They aren't the most robust option on the market.
So your telling me there's a chance?

Reactions: punkncat
Skylake non-k could be overclocked on early boards with certain beta BIOSes, and if I remember it was just Z170 and a handful of lesser boards that had an external clock generator. The performance is night and day for i3-6100 when tuned up to 4.5GHz or so, but they are still weak for heavier multithreaded apps.

after i watch a guy on yt saying that this CPU is over clockable i was excited and then he said Z170 which i immediately got disappointed, but that got me thinking is it possible to oc this CPU with a h110 Mobo?
Nope.
Max you can do with non-overclockable cpu on non-overclocking board is run them at max turbo boost on all cores.
i3-6100 - doesn't support turbo boost. So - you can't do even that.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
As @logainofhades said the mobo doesn't allow for OC.

@SkyNetRising just got in before me there. Your CPU has no boost speed. It used to be that with MCE (Multicore enhancement) you could set the CPU to run at all core speeds of the CPU's max boost. Sadly you are snookered.

Even if there were some app that could help, it's highly likely your CPU would be very unstable and probably frustrate you even more than you are with it currently.

If you need more performance, you'll likely have to upgrade.

Why people post wrong information is beyond me.

Here: my own i3-6100 @4.6 overclock

https://hwbot.org/submission/3187846_damric_cpu_frequency_core_i3_6100_4601.5_mhz

I don't think anyone has given the wrong info, TBH.

The first thing I checked reading your first post was your CPU-z rigs. That's a nice OC on the I3, but as others have mentioned, you're running a Z mobo and upping your bus speed for the OC. The OP specifically asked for his H110 mobo, which can't do that. That's why I said an upgrade, in this case to a Z mobo like yours, would be needed. With that said, I'm not advocating the OP buy a new mobo for an already limited CPU with 4 c/t. Even if he was successful in OC it as you did, an increase in clockspeed only goes so far, and doesn't negate the lack of cores/threads and higher IPC for a more modern CPU.

Solution