[SOLVED] Can i OC Ryzen 5 2600 with that?

Jun 13, 2019
I will get an Asrock B450 Pro 4, It's the best I can afford, I will also use 2600 stock cooler, how strong overclock i can get with this?

In case that matter, here is the setup:

Ryzen 5 2600
Asrock B450 pro 4
Xfx Rx 580
2x 8gb 2400mhz Ram
Evga 500w

Solution
The 6 core CPU's don't pull enough current to where the motherboard VRM section matters very much. It will be fine as long as it has decent heatsinks. If anything the entry level boards can be limited for overclocking by the BIOS options. You'll have very little if any OC headroom with the stock stealth cooler. The spire and prism are much better. I'd upgrade to a $30 ish tower cooler if you want to overclock. You also need to be careful with cheap PSU's when OCing. Get 3200 mhz ram. It's well under $100 for a good 16 gb kit.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
The 6 core CPU's don't pull enough current to where the motherboard VRM section matters very much. It will be fine as long as it has decent heatsinks. If anything the entry level boards can be limited for overclocking by the BIOS options. You'll have very little if any OC headroom with the stock stealth cooler. The spire and prism are much better. I'd upgrade to a $30 ish tower cooler if you want to overclock. You also need to be careful with cheap PSU's when OCing. Get 3200 mhz ram. It's well under $100 for a good 16 gb kit.

Reactions: Rodrigo Cortez
Solution
Jun 13, 2019
In my country a 3200mhz 16gb kit is like 260$, and 2400mhz is 140$, i cant afford anything else, i will use the pc for gaming only i dont think ram speed will matter that much, if i will not overclock, can I use a cheaper b450 or even b350 model with 2600x?

Ram speed does matter for ryzen since it affects how the processor works internally. You may have luck overclocking the ram.

B350 might not work out of the box with the 2600. I would buy the b450. Vrms dont matter much for a ryzen 5. Just make sure to get a model with vrm heatsyncs.

Reactions: rigg42

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I decided to buy 2600X since It use the spire cooler, and i will keep with b450 pro4 since it have those heatsinks on vrm, thanks for all the help!!!!!
I have the 2600x using the stock cooler on an AsRock Fatality B450 Gaiming ITX/ac motherboard in one of my builds. Be aware that the stock 2600x settings will push the limits of that cooler. I ended up manually dialing in a 3.9 ghz overclock to get temps under control. It will boost to 4.1 for a while when gaming with stock settings but ends up clocking down to 3.8 after the temps start rising. A negative voltage offset with stock setting can help mitigate this a bit. If you want the best performance the cooler can deliver, you'll want to manually set a fixed voltage and clock multiplier, and stress test for stability. Ideally you'll want to use XFR, PBO, and a negative voltage offset with a better cooler to get the most out of your X CPU. The spire will do well but just isn't quite enough to max out the CPU with good temps. The spire is a much better cooler than the stealth but at the end of day is a 95 watt cooler and doesn't give you a ton of cooling headroom for the 2600x. Either way it will work for now and you'll get really good performance. I'd probably upgrade it with a 120 mm tower cooler when you have some extra funds available.

Anything you can do to get faster memory is advisable. It will impact your gaming performance significantly. I understand that this is difficult with your pricing available but if you can step up the speed at all it will help.