[SOLVED] Can i OC with 4 different ram stick?

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
Im very new to oc so i dont know much about it. So im going to buy the ryzen 5 2600 and the maximum ram frequency support for this cpu is 2933mhz and i want to oc all the ram stick to 2933mhz
And lets say i have 4 different ram stick
  1. A 2133mhz cl15 ram(gskill)
  2. A 2133mhz cl15 ram(gskill)
  3. A 2666mhz cl16 ram(hyperx)
  4. A 2400mhz cl17 ram(galax)
So is it possible to OC all of it to 2933mhz and if so how can i do that?

Last edited:
Solution
Different memory sticks don't always play well together, but you can always get lucky.

Not likely to get 2133 all the way to 2933, and since they are all different you are going to have to set the timings manually in the BIOS.

Probably do some fairly loose timings CL18-22-22-42 and work your way down. all of this at 1.35v to start. Your 'worst' memory there is CL17, but if it can be convinced to work at 16, then you might be able to do something like 16-18-18-38.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Different memory sticks don't always play well together, but you can always get lucky.

Not likely to get 2133 all the way to 2933, and since they are all different you are going to have to set the timings manually in the BIOS.

Probably do some fairly loose timings CL18-22-22-42 and work your way down. all of this at 1.35v to start. Your 'worst' memory there is CL17, but if it can be convinced to work at 16, then you might be able to do something like 16-18-18-38.

Reactions: Giant Hunger
Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Jayztwocents just did a pretty good video about how different sticks harmed or helped performance. Turns out that the best performance he had in the tests he ran were on four different sticks of RAM. It was on an Intel system and almost certainly more than a small amount of luck. Of course, there is no way to know the preparations and testing done before the final cut was made and most people don't have the variety of equipment on hand that he does...still, it was unexpected.

My internet at my current location is too slow to utilize YouTube well, but it was done within the last week-ish.