Question Can i overclock a Ryzen 7 5800x3D?

OzN3

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
Hello, i installed my new cpu today, a Ryzen 7 5800x3D ( i had a 5600x ). I've heard, that's not overclockable, isn't it? Is there any way to overclock it, disable the boost and have the same frequency all the time or an option to undervolt it? Thanks.

Hello, i installed my new cpu today, a Ryzen 7 5800x3D ( i had a 5600x ). I've heard, that's not overclockable, isn't it? Is there any way to overclock it, disable the boost and have the same frequency all the time or an option to undervolt it? Thanks.
Hey there,

No, is the short answer.

The 5800x3d is thermally/voltage capped. So no overclocking is allowed. You can of course overclock the mem.

Now, it may be that your mobo has it's own clock generator, in which case you could try a BCLK overclock. This does bring with it, some drawbacks. Mostly that it's unstable. Without OC'ing, your CPU is still one of the very best gamers right now. So don't be sweating about an OC. It won't bring anything to the game.

Enjoy your CPU and the FPS it can pump out to your GPU.

What are the rest of your specs?

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
All the cache generates a massive amount of heat.
But.. if you are feeling foolish enough today, here you go.....
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ryzen-7-5800x3d-overclocked-to-4-74ghz
Overclocking was an art form back in the day. Not much wiggle room (minimal gains) these days unless using Ln2 which is dumb.. :) CPU are fast in 2023 without blowing them up by overclocking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

OzN3

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
Hey there,

No, is the short answer.

The 5800x3d is thermally/voltage capped. So no overclocking is allowed. You can of course overclock the mem.

Now, it may be that your mobo has it's own clock generator, in which case you could try a BCLK overclock. This does bring with it, some drawbacks. Mostly that it's unstable. Without OC'ing, your CPU is still one of the very best gamers right now. So don't be sweating about an OC. It won't bring anything to the game.

Enjoy your CPU and the FPS it can pump out to your GPU.

What are the rest of your specs?
Specs are in my signature. I've a rog strix LC 360, 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator already overclocked from 3200 to 3400mhz ( if i increase the frequency the system won't boot ), and the motherboard is an Asus B450-E Gaming

Specs are in my signature. I've a rog strix LC 360, 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator already overclocked from 3200 to 3400mhz ( if i increase the frequency the system won't boot ), and the motherboard is an Asus B450-E Gaming
Ooops, missed that :)

You can look at Dram Calculator to help with your ram OC. But being honest, 200mhz over stock (in this case XMP) is about as good as you might get. Tightening the timings might be best option here.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Yes, we've already covered this, and the known bugs it brings.

Having an OC is one thing. Having an unstable OC with a chip not designed to OC, is an unstable mess to follow. Not good advice.
Didn't overclock my 5600x nor my 5950x. No need too. 3 FPS increase and a fried CPU don't interest me!
I did burn up my 4790k by running it at 4.2GHz for 2 years before I gave it a decent burial.

Thanks to you both guys... Is there at least a way to undervolt it? At least i will have a less power consumption and generated heat..

Yes, of course you can undervolt. But in this case it doesn't bring any higher boosts. The CPU is limited by 1.35 VID. So, you can go to your bios, look at the vcore tab, and add a negative (-) offset for your CPU voltage. This is the easiest way to undervolt. Run Cinebecnh R23 after each change, and note your scores. If it gives better scores then go with it. If it doesn't then take the offset off.

Reactions: OzN3
Didn't overclock my 5600x nor my 5950x. No need too. 3 FPS increase and a fried CPU don't interest me!
I did burn up my 4790k by running it at 4.2GHz for 2 years before I gave it a decent burial.

Totally agree in general terms. With that said, my own 5600x which turned out to be a gold sample (wihoo :) ). My CPU runs at 4.7 all core with a 4.9ghz max single core (although another core does go that high, but rarely in testing).

Sure, with a 5950x you've got so much host processing, an OC is almost irrelevant.

Reactions: JeffreyP55

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Totally agree in general terms. With that said, my own 5600x which turned out to be a gold sample (wihoo :) ). My CPU runs at 4.7 all core with a 4.9ghz max single core (although another core does go that high, but rarely in testing).

Sure, with a 5950x you've got so much host processing, an OC is almost irrelevant.
Setup all auto and enabled DOCP that's it! Hit 5GHz when needed.

OzN3

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
Yes, of course you can undervolt. But in this case it doesn't bring any higher boosts. The CPU is limited by 1.35 VID. So, you can go to your bios, look at the vcore tab, and add a negative (-) offset for your CPU voltage. This is the easiest way to undervolt. Run Cinebecnh R23 after each change, and note your scores. If it gives better scores then go with it. If it doesn't then take the offset off.
That's exactly what I did. I just changed the vcore offset to - 0.050 and left all the rest to auto. I was using 3DMark benchmark to see if the score changes, but i think you're right, cinebench would be better. Thanks!

Yeah, try go further with your UV. You might be able to get it low, about 1.25v Just test and see how it goes.

Cinebench is pretty good in that it reflects a more frequent load, that users might experience.

From a truly OC point of view you might use Prime 95 small FFTs, to really stress the CPU/Cooling capabilities/Rock steady OC that are really stable (this can take over 8 hours of stressing). But this doesn't reflect daily normal usage.

If PBO/CO are enabled on your mobo, then absolutely go ahead and enable them, and see what happens. You won't kill the CPU or anything with just PBO/
Setup all auto and enabled DOCP that's it! Hit 5GHz when needed.

Nice! a 5950x at 5ghz. PBO is pretty good. I do like this almost one touch OC and be damned functionality :tearsofjoy:

On a sidenote, if you haven't used CO, it's worth messing around with, as if your chip goes to 5ghz on auto, it's possible to squeeze more out of it. Sounds like you hit the silicon lottery for that CPU.

OzN3

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
I found a guide a out a pbo2 tuner and i’ve decreased vcore and temps a lot, -30 each core. Now it runs between 1.16 and 1.18v underload and the boost is consistent at 4450mhz without any drop! Sadly i can’t go up with frequency, seems ti could be a beast. What about a bclk overclock? I don’t want peripherals instability..

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Yeah, try go further with your UV. You might be able to get it low, about 1.25v Just test and see how it goes.

Cinebench is pretty good in that it reflects a more frequent load, that users might experience.

From a truly OC point of view you might use Prime 95 small FFTs, to really stress the CPU/Cooling capabilities/Rock steady OC that are really stable (this can take over 8 hours of stressing). But this doesn't reflect daily normal usage.

If PBO/CO are enabled on your mobo, then absolutely go ahead and enable them, and see what happens. You won't kill the CPU or anything with just PBO/

Nice! a 5950x at 5ghz. PBO is pretty good. I do like this almost one touch OC and be damned functionality :tearsofjoy:

On a sidenote, if you haven't used CO, it's worth messing around with, as if your chip goes to 5ghz on auto, it's possible to squeeze more out of it. Sounds like you hit the silicon lottery for that CPU.
All BIOS OC functions are set to auto. Only DOCP is enabled. 5950x clock and boost specs are from 3.4GHz to 4.9GHz. 5.0GHz is not unbelievable.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I followed all steps and everything is ok! I’m just thinking about BCLK overclock.. Increasing BCLK frequency could damage pc components?
Define damage.

Back in the days of Ivy-Bridge, Intel and amd were kicking out 'safe' cpus. Slap some voltage on them at mediocre speeds, Intel doing just enough to stay ahead of the game. So you'd get an i7-3770K turbo to 3.9GHz. Now bring on the Z-77 mobo and some seriously decent cooling and a bunch of time with Prime95 and you could get 5.0GHz at 1.4v with a decent chip. Nice OC huh.

Couple gens later, Intel hit a brick wall, and we got Skylake +++++++++++.... So how does Intel stay ahead? The architecture wasn't 'safe' to go upto 6.0GHz, so it closed the gap with a factory OC. Every gen after 3rd has done so, the OC value getting smaller and smaller. Amd Ryzens aren't any different, they boost to their limits and any gains are due to efficiency.

OC now in 13th gen or 7000 Ryzens is basically pointless. You are getting factory OC's with boosts over base going from 2.xGHz to 5.xGHz. Fps gains are negligible, chalk them up to margin of error they are that small. The effort to get CSGO from 500fps to 505fps is a stupid amount of messing around with settings in bios and only results in increasing the chances of instability.

Leave BCLK alone. Undervolt to get better temps/better boosts if you wish, but the moment you start messing with communications speeds, you increase the chances of instability. You are far better off with a good amount of constantly playable fps than with a greater amount of fps that's only playable between crashes.

Reactions: OzN3

OzN3

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
Define damage.

Back in the days of Ivy-Bridge, Intel and amd were kicking out 'safe' cpus. Slap some voltage on them at mediocre speeds, Intel doing just enough to stay ahead of the game. So you'd get an i7-3770K turbo to 3.9GHz. Now bring on the Z-77 mobo and some seriously decent cooling and a bunch of time with Prime95 and you could get 5.0GHz at 1.4v with a decent chip. Nice OC huh.

Couple gens later, Intel hit a brick wall, and we got Skylake +++++++++++.... So how does Intel stay ahead? The architecture wasn't 'safe' to go upto 6.0GHz, so it closed the gap with a factory OC. Every gen after 3rd has done so, the OC value getting smaller and smaller. Amd Ryzens aren't any different, they boost to their limits and any gains are due to efficiency.

OC now in 13th gen or 7000 Ryzens is basically pointless. You are getting factory OC's with boosts over base going from 2.xGHz to 5.xGHz. Fps gains are negligible, chalk them up to margin of error they are that small. The effort to get CSGO from 500fps to 505fps is a stupid amount of messing around with settings in bios and only results in increasing the chances of instability.

Leave BCLK alone. Undervolt to get better temps/better boosts if you wish, but the moment you start messing with communications speeds, you increase the chances of instability. You are far better off with a good amount of constantly playable fps than with a greater amount of fps that's only playable between crashes.
You’re right. I’ll leave my cpu with CO -30 and i’ll enjoy it. I also reached 3533mhz on my 4x4gb Corsair Dominator with same xmp ( 3200mhz ) timings. I’m happy with this. Thank you all guys!

Reactions: Karadjgne