[SOLVED] Can i overclock i5 3570 ( non k )

tplay2003

Prominent
Dec 29, 2018
Hello, i know ( non k ) processors are not fully unlocked for overclocking, but i heard there is a way to get the CPU reach from 3,40GHZ to 4,00Ghz.
But can i do it or its just misinformation if we can call it that way. Also guys i will be happy if you also can tell me do i need a RAM upgrade additionally for my PC to work better. Thanks for your time :)!

System Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS P8H61-MX USB 3 Socket 1155
CPU : Intel Core i5 3570 (non k) - 3,40Ghz

CPU Cooler : DeepCool IceBlade 200M
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
PSU : ANTEC HCG 650W
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 ( 2X4 ) 1333Mhz

Solution
The RX 570 is a fine choice. I would still recommend the i7, or Xeon route though. Quad core gaming is starting to die off, and you are going to want those extra threads, unless you are playing older titles, or E-sports like titles.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It's not misinformation, but it's not 100% accurate.

Non-K CPUs of the IvyBridge era can have their Turbo increased 4 "bins" (100MHz steppings) above their stock Turbo speed. I think the specific setting is usually labelled something like 'Turbo Multiplier'.

So, a 3570 has a 3.8GHz Turbo - you could get to 4.2GHz peak, with a few tweaks in the BIOS.

However, you may not find the options to do so on an H61 motherboards BIOS... AFAIK, the option is limited to overclocking chipsets (Z77 etc), although you may have some limited options to get >3.8GHz, but <4.2GHz.

Reactions: tplay2003

tplay2003

Prominent
Dec 29, 2018
You can overclock it, but only with P67, Z68, or Z77 chipests. What in particular are you looking to do, that you desire a performance boost?
Thank you for your answers guys, yes i do desire a performance boost and i ask you about the RAM because i see some problems in the performance of some games and if it might be the RAM since its the only component i didnt changed since i have the system and its some unknown brand i wondered about the CPU overclock to see if the performance will be better but since its not an option what do you think should i buy 16 gigs of ram 8x2 1600MHz my current ram seems to run at 1333Mhz maybe the motherboard is limiting it or maybe just my current ram speed is 1333Mhz.

Hello, i know ( non k ) processors are not fully unlocked for overclocking, but i heard there is a way to get the CPU reach from 3,40GHZ to 4,00Ghz.
But can i do it or its just misinformation if we can call it that way. Also guys i will be happy if you also can tell me do i need a RAM upgrade additionally for my PC to work better. Thanks for your time :)!

System Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS P8H61-MX USB 3 Socket 1155
CPU : Intel Core i5 3570 (non k) - 3,40Ghz

CPU Cooler : DeepCool IceBlade 200M
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
PSU : ANTEC HCG 650W
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 ( 2X4 ) 1333Mhz

What resolution and refresh rate do you play on?

1920x1080 Refresh rate is 60Hz.

Your GPU is limiting your performance in games but your CPU will bottleneck if you get a high end GPU,
Get something like an RX 570 or a GTX 1060 6GB. Don't get the 3Gb version of the 1060.

If you want a brand new GPU there is the AMD 5500XT and the 1650 Super, get whatever is cheaper.

As for the RAM, some games require 16Gb RAM so check the spec requirements of your games.

Last edited:

tplay2003

Prominent
Dec 29, 2018
Your GPU is limiting your performance in games but your CPU will bottleneck if you get a high end GPU,
Get something like an RX 570 or a GTX 1060 6GB. Don't get the 3Gb version of the 1060.

If you want a brand new GPU there is the AMD 5500XT and the 1650 Super, get whatever is cheaper.

As for the RAM, some games require 16Gb RAM so check the spec requirements of your games.
Thank you, but how you understood that by just the resolution and refresh rate when i look at the bottleneck calculator or in other forums my GPU and CPU have less than 8 % bottleneck together ?

Thank you, but how you understood that by just the resolution and refresh rate when i look at the bottleneck calculator or in other forums my GPU and CPU have less than 8 % bottleneck together ?

Yes you can use the bottleneck calculator but I checked overall 1080p performance on Techpowerup website of the 5500XT review. You can see all cards from AMD and Nvidia at 1080p performance.

Dec 12, 2019
Not really, your CPU is less powerful than the i5-4670K (I took an example for Haswell) and you bought a similar 960 GPU performance (as benchmark stated).
Now the problem is your CPU, while the GPU could stand on FullHD at med config on, more or less, every game.
The very upgrade has been done on 6th/7th gen and above, so your OC could not perform very well in terms of gain performance or reduce bottleneck.

I suggest you to buy a new setup like me. I'm using a laptop with RTX2060@i7-9750H and I came from a GTX960@i5-4670K both OC, but problematic on every new game.

tplay2003

Prominent
Dec 29, 2018
Not really, your CPU is less powerful than the i5-4670K (I took an example for Haswell) and you bought a similar 960 GPU performance (as benchmark stated).
Now the problem is your CPU, while the GPU could stand on FullHD at med config on, more or less, every game.
The very upgrade has been done on 6th/7th gen and above, so your OC could not perform very well in terms of gain performance or reduce bottleneck.

I suggest you to buy a new setup like me. I'm using a laptop with RTX2060@i7-9750H and I came from a GTX960@i5-4670K both OC, but problematic on every new game.

For now i won't be able to change the setup but if its bottleneck is it worth it getting new RAM for the system cuz its still worries me unknown brand 8gb 2x4 1333Mhz ...seems to be the weakest component in the system but what do i know :unsure:

Dec 12, 2019
For now i won't be able to change the setup but if its bottleneck is it worth it getting new RAM for the system cuz its still worries me unknown brand 8gb 2x4 1333Mhz ...seems to be the weakest component in the system but what do i know :unsure:
Unknown brand? Well if they works on Dual Channel that could be good, as the minimum. Check the CAS latency.
For sure the i5-3570 supports up to 1600 and OC to 1866 as I remember with XMP Profile, as my i5-4670K with Z87 and G.Skill Ares 1600MHz push to 1866 and more as well.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yes you can use the bottleneck calculator

Bottleneck 'calculators' are pretty much garbage all around.
Check out reviews though, get a feel for performance.

unknown brand 8gb 2x4 1333Mhz ...seems to be the weakest component in the system but what do i know :unsure:

For the most part, RAM is RAM - especially DDR3.
Provided they don't have crazy loose timings, a 2x4GB 1333MHz kit is going to perform much the same as any other 2x4GB 1333MHz kits from other brands.

Yes, 1333MHz is pretty basic DDR3 anyway, but you're not going to see much performance scaling with higher memory - and on that motherboard, you might be limited to 1600MHz anyway.

tplay2003

Prominent
Dec 29, 2018
Bottleneck 'calculators' are pretty much garbage all around.
Check out reviews though, get a feel for performance.

For the most part, RAM is RAM - especially DDR3.
Provided they don't have crazy loose timings, a 2x4GB 1333MHz kit is going to perform much the same as any other 2x4GB 1333MHz kits from other brands.

Yes, 1333MHz is pretty basic DDR3 anyway, but you're not going to see much performance scaling with higher memory - and on that motherboard, you might be limited to 1600MHz anyway.
Yes I'm aware that I'm limited to 1600Mhz, if you had this system then what would you do first as first step with low budged to tweak the system more?

USAFRet

Titan
Yes you can use the bottleneck calculator but I checked overall 1080p performance on Techpowerup website of the 5500XT review. You can see all cards from AMD and Nvidia at 1080p performance.
um, no.
That 'bottleneck calculator' site should not be used except as a thing to point people as to what NOT to use.

That thing is absolute junk. Snake oil at best. A waste of a mouse click.

logainofhades

Titan
If you cannot afford an all new rig, this is what I would do. I would update your bios, to the latest revision, if it is not already, then pick up a Xeon 1245v2, off Ebay, for around $60. It is nothing more than an i7 3770, that has extra support, for ECC memory, and is compatible with your board. It will help alleviate bottlenecks that will occur, in modern titles, that are wanting more than 4 cores/threads.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H61MX_USB3/HelpDesk_BIOS/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon...879783?hash=item2cfcbe2127:g:FFEAAOSwljFd1dWo

After that, get the best GPU, that you can still afford, even if said GPU is one that would be bottlenecked by your CPU. When you can afford to, upgrade the rest of your system, and reuse said GPU.

tplay2003

Prominent
Dec 29, 2018
If you cannot afford an all new rig, this is what I would do. I would update your bios, to the latest revision, if it is not already, then pick up a Xeon 1245v2, off Ebay, for around $60. It is nothing more than an i7 3770, that has extra support, for ECC memory, and is compatible with your board. It will help alleviate bottlenecks that will occur, in modern titles, that are wanting more than 4 cores/threads.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H61MX_USB3/HelpDesk_BIOS/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon...879783?hash=item2cfcbe2127:g:FFEAAOSwljFd1dWo

After that, get the best GPU, that you can still afford, even if said GPU is one that would be bottlenecked by your CPU. When you can afford to, upgrade the rest of your system, and reuse said GPU.
Hmm that might be good, but what if i get the 16 RAM and change my video card with an RX 570 ( will sell the 1050ti ). I wonder about this since the RX 570 is significantly better than the 1050ti and is for the same price i've been blind to not buy this when i buyed 1050ti , but yeah not only its better for the same money but it will work better with my CPU removing the performance drop in some of the games. How do you think about that? :unsure: ( i can find the RX 570 for 100 EURO here )

TRENDING THREADS