Can I overclock my CPU?

Lopockalypse

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
My Computer as follows; tell me if I miss anything important.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.50GHz

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450

Motherboard: Model, Packard Bell - MCP73PVT-PM. Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 7100 Southbridge: NVIDIA nForce 630i

RAM: 4GB

So I've been playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations and the lag I get in crowded areas or panned views of the landscape is really getting to me, graphically intense scenes will play smoothly just fine, but running through a populated street brings my FPS down to about 20 which just isn't desirable.

After doing some tests + research I've discovered that it's my CPU bottlenecking at these particular scenarios, I know because I've tested the same areas using smaller resolutions but there is no improvement in framerate. So, my question is can I overclock my CPU with this rig? And more importantly would it actually make a noticeable difference to my PCs performance? I'm planning to get Assassin's Creed 3 for the PC aswell as other graphically intense games in the future. I've never tried overclocking before.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Its weird that its lagging because your gts 450 is a ok card for it and your processor is over the minimum. But I would only recommend overclocking if you have good cooling.

Nabutso

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
If you purchased you PC pre-built, most likely your motherboard won't allow you to overclock. Go into your bios and see if you can increase the FSB. If you can't, you can't overclock.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
No not that I can say, you can try overclocking your GPU, GPUS can take almost triple amount the heat a cpu can. GPUS can stay stable at 80-90c temps. Try using MSI Afterburner. Thats what I use and its fine.

Nabutso

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

This isn't completely true. yes GPUs stay stable at 80-90c, but technically so do CPUs. GPUs just handle the heat better.

CPU 'safe temps' depend a lot of exactly which CPU it is but generally, 70c or so during 100% full load is safe. Definitely not 30c....