Can i overclock my gpu and cpu after 5-6 years ?

Aug 13, 2018
hey guys i have a gpu gtx 1080 and cpu i7 7700k i have a z270 sli pro mobo, i built my pc in october 2017. i have never ever overclocked any of my components. So my friend told me that after probably 5-6 years from now people with high cards will not be able to play on ultra and high settings on the new games coming in 2025 and beyond. and thats true , BUT what if i overclocked my gpu and cpu after 5 years or when i see my gpu is not being able to give me high settings, should i overclock to be able to use high settings ?

Solution
but how do i know if its compatible with my rig
GPUs have been universally compatible for some time. 5 years later you could take out the old GPU and install the new one unless we get a new revolutionary design which I doubt would happen and even if it did, it would be backward compatible.
is there a website to put all your pc components and test on all the games?
There isn't a website that would test all your parts for now but you could do two things:
1. You could search for some game benchmarks and compare it to your GPU. for example if 3060 Ti gave 70 fps in a game, compare how much slower or faster it is compared to your GPU to get a rough idea. The benchmark might have 1080 too. Some YouTubers bring out older cards every...
Doesn't really matter at which time you OC anything but any OC doesn't mean a miracle will be performed. Generally, OC helps most when one of the components is just at bottleneck point. CPUs less than 200 -300MHz of OC is practically useless ad GPUs under 10 - 15 % of OC. Much of it depends on SW/games in 5 years time and that is unpredictable.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-vs-Nvidia-GTX-580/3603vs3150
GTX 580 that was released 5.5 years before 1080, is three times weaker than 1080 in raw power. But that's not how GPUs work. We have driver optimizations and new technologies introduced every year like the new ray tracing with the 20 series or the DX12/Vulkan that the games are picking up.

So, let's compare 980 with 1080. It's 2 years apart. Just look at the game benches below and judge for yourself.
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/2576vs3603

Also, high-end CPUs and other components usually last a long time. You could probably get away with a GPU upgrade every 3-4 years for the next 6-8 years if want to play at high-ultra. Some of the people I've met are pairing i7-950 with GTX 1080s.
Much of it depends on SW/games in 5 years time and that is unpredictable.
This is true. For example, the Vulkan/DX12 takes better advantage of multi-threaded CPUs. We can't give exact numbers because of unpredictable growth.

Aug 13, 2018

thanks man you really helped me. so i can just change my gpu lets say after 5 years. but how do i know if its compatible with my rig and is there a website to put all your pc components and test on all the games?. because i want to test my rig + the new gpu that i want to buy after 5 years to see the results of FPS,

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
but how do i know if its compatible with my rig
GPUs have been universally compatible for some time. 5 years later you could take out the old GPU and install the new one unless we get a new revolutionary design which I doubt would happen and even if it did, it would be backward compatible.
is there a website to put all your pc components and test on all the games?
There isn't a website that would test all your parts for now but you could do two things:
1. You could search for some game benchmarks and compare it to your GPU. for example if 3060 Ti gave 70 fps in a game, compare how much slower or faster it is compared to your GPU to get a rough idea. The benchmark might have 1080 too. Some YouTubers bring out older cards every now and then for benchmarks. You could watch them.

2. If a game gave 9600K for the recommended CPU, compare it to your current CPU.
I recommend UserBenchmark for comparing two parts.

Also, if you're worried about bottlenecks with your current rig and the new GPU 5 years later, you could use this to get a rough idea.
http://thebottlenecker.com/#calculator

You could also overclock your CPU to 4-5 years later to give it a boost. 4.6GHz on all cores is usually achievable (4.3GHz on all cores stock).

Solution
Aug 13, 2018

so the bottleneck website will give an idea if the 5 years gpu is compatible with my current rig ?

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
so the bottleneck website will give an idea if the 5 years gpu is compatible with my current rig
Some times people build PCs that are not balanced due to lack of knowledge, budget or user needs. like i3 with GTX 1080 or i7 with GTX 1060. A bottleneck happens when one component is much slower/faster compared to other parts. This site can help achieve a balanced build when upgrading.

Or you could ask here for recommendations 5 years later or whenever you wanna upgrade.
-------------------------------------
If you wanna OC your GPU now or have a reference guide, here:
0. Install MSI Afterburner.
0. Download and run UNIGINE Valley on Ultra.

1. Max your power limit. (500W+ PSU recommended)

2. Increase your core clock 50+ at a time while looking at UNIGINE benchmark till artifacts (weird lines and colors) appear or your driver crashes. Then fine tune it compared to your previous clock.
Example Core clock: +50 > ... > +150 > artifact > ... > +120 (Keep it 25 or more below max)

3. Do the same for Memory. (50 or more below max)

4. Save your profile.

5. Don't check apply overclocking at startup. You can check it after few days.

Keep all your temps below 80c/176F, if you go over it or stay near it., consider installing fans and cleaning case.

Overclocking is safe as long as you keep it cool and don't push it too much. That's why we determine the max OC first, then we lower it to so chip doesn't work too hard.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Coding needs are not expanding anywhere near as fast as graphical needs. Games are still written in the same languages as 5 years ago, even if they are somewhat more complex. So even older generation cpus are still strong enough to handle the workloads, just maybe not as well as newer and faster cpus. Gpus are different. The more complex coding is putting higher strain on the gpu to reproduce, so 5 years ago the 660ti was a respectable card, but today has nowhere near the power necessary for the complexity and demands of the latest games.

Overclock the cpu, no worries. Without some serious major changes, it should handle the game engines 5 years from now, but a card like the gtx1060 isn't going to be much better than a gtx660ti is now, comparatively, even overclocked.

Aug 13, 2018

thanks man , i have msi afterburner and i have a custom fan curve that i made. i dont really need to overclock now because my gpu doesnt need to be overclocked at this moment. but i will overclock it when i see a decrease in preformance and after 5 years ill come here and ask in the forums if i should upgrade or buy a new pc. see ya in 5 years :)

TRENDING THREADS