[SOLVED] Can I overclock my GPU on a A320 motherboard?

Dec 6, 2018
I know you can't oc the cpu on this motherboard but I'm wondering if it's safe to over clock the graphics card. I only got the A320 because it was half price and I was on a budget so please don't give me the "buy a b350" line. I don't want to risk damaging something.

Edit:
Motherboard: Asus Prime A320m/K
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050

Solution
wow. ok. well, a 1050 is pretty low end.
you can overclock it but, it may not go very far.

Use MSI Afterburner.
Go into settings and on the main tab, check mark voltage control and apply settings.
Back at the main window of Afterburner, slide the voltage slider to max.
Next, slide the power and temp limits to max.

After that, proceed to add a +52 offset to the clock speeds and run stress test benchmarks like Unigine Valley, Heaven, and Superposition to make sure it's stable.

If it's is not stable, drop the offset by -13 so that it's +39 and test again and repeat until stable.

If it is stable at +52, continue to keep running the loop in Valley or Heaven and while it's running in Windowed mode, go to Afterburner and add another 13 to...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
the motherboard has nothing to do with overclocking potential of a GPU. Only CPU.
If the GPU you have is motherboard power only (meaning no power cables required) then it will still manually overclock, just not much.

Since you ask such a question, I assume you would be fairly new to overclocking a GPU.
Mind telling me what GPU you have so I can give you a general guide to overclocking it?

Also, depending on what A320 board you have, you might actually be able to overclock the CPU on it.

Dec 6, 2018

Yeah sorry, I just remembered to add in the GPU and motherboard specs right before you replied. I added them in the bottom. I pretty much guessed it didn't have much to do with the motherboard, but I didn't want to make any action on "pretty much".

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
wow. ok. well, a 1050 is pretty low end.
you can overclock it but, it may not go very far.

Use MSI Afterburner.
Go into settings and on the main tab, check mark voltage control and apply settings.
Back at the main window of Afterburner, slide the voltage slider to max.
Next, slide the power and temp limits to max.

After that, proceed to add a +52 offset to the clock speeds and run stress test benchmarks like Unigine Valley, Heaven, and Superposition to make sure it's stable.

If it's is not stable, drop the offset by -13 so that it's +39 and test again and repeat until stable.

If it is stable at +52, continue to keep running the loop in Valley or Heaven and while it's running in Windowed mode, go to Afterburner and add another 13 to the offset then let it run for a few minutes.

If that's stable add another 13.
Keep adding in increments of 13 until it's not stable. Once it's not stable, drop back down by 13 and then continue to run extended stress runs on Valley, Heaven, and Superposition.

If all goes well, then that's the max stable overclock.
If anything weird happens at all during all of that, drop the offset by 13 again and do the stressing again for extended periods and keep repeating this process until all is stable.

CONGRATS! You found your max stable overclock on the core.

Now on to memory.

Start with a +100 to the memory and run the different benchmarks looking for anything odd in the graphics such as missing textures, odd triangle shapes, blue and red dots, etc.

If no good, then drop it by increment of 50 until it's stable or back to stock.

If all is good, then proceed to do the same thing as with core clock and bump it in increments of 50 at a time until you notice the artifacting issues.
Once you get artifacting, reduce offset like before so that it's at the last known stable offset and run the benchmarks for an extended period of time to make sure there is no artifacting and lowering the offset until you don't get artifacting at all.

Once done, go to Afterburner and click the little save icon in the bottom right, then click a number to save those overclock settings to a profile.
Then click the little Windows icon on the bottom right so that Afterburner will run at PC startup and automatically apply the overclock settings.

Should note, that for doing offsets, just click the white number next to the slider and enter digits, then press enter key. after pressing enter key, click the big check mark button to apply it.

If you feel like it, you can adjust the fan curve to something more manual by going into settings and to the fan tab then adjusting the curve in the grid box.

Solution