Can I overclock my Pentium 4 519K on a Prebuilt motherboard?

asem1123

Reputable
Feb 6, 2018
I want to "try" to overclock my Pentium 4 because it is so slow and it's the only desktop I have, bought it 14 years ago, and also to try overclocking for the first time because if the CPU blows up then I can just buy another one cheap. Other people on YouTube had these multipliers and stuff on their motherboard, but mine has barely anything on it, so can I somehow overclock on a prebuilt motherboard or via software or something? It is a K processor, it should be overclockable right? Or was it different back then?

P.S.: I will change the cooler when overclocking because my current one only cools it down to 63C when on load and the limit of the processor is 67C.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SL-7nkSXFs"][/video]

Hi

It is not worth trying to over clock this Pentium 4 on that motherboard

If no overclocking features in the bios it wont work

CPU -Z will tell you the exact version of CPU and also what motherboard you have and what socket you have (LGA775?)

There may be a Pentium 4 D (Dual Core) which fits in the same socket or a HT version (Hyper Threading means 1 core appears as 2 cores to Windows)

or a faster P4 available for that motherboard

It the CPU runs hot it may be due to the amount of dust & fluff in the CPU heat sink and fan

(added) K does not mean overclockable like modern Intel core cpus

regards

Mike Barnes

Throttlestop software can overclock unlocked CPUs in Windows. I would get an older version Like Throttlestop 6.0 for that.
Some P4 Mb can upgrade to Core2Duo with a newer BIOS, many can't. It depends on the chipset, and Mfg. support. If it can update then Core 2 Extreme can run and overclock like the Dimension E520 in my sig. But the P4 itself, even overclocked will struggle to equal the slowest Core2Duo. The P4 Extremes had EE (Extreme Edition) part numbers. If you can upgrade to any Core 2 Duo you should, and then the X6800 is the unlocked CPU. Dual core Pentium D are also a possible option. But still not much actual results unless you can jump to Core2 tewchnology.