Can i overclock my RAM on this board?

May 21, 2018
System Specs:
GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
PSU: Corsair CXM550W
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 2133MHz (dual channel)
Motherboard: Prime A320M-K

I'm aware that my motherboard isn't able to OC the CPU. But can i OC the RAM to say, 2400 / 2666MHz? The reason i ask is because Ryzen loves faster RAM, and was wondering if i could overclock it a tiny bit.

Solution
You should be able to OC the ram a little as the mobo should support DIMMS up to 2400/2666mhz at default.

However, if your DIMMS are rated for 2133, the chances of you hitting those speeds are slim. There's a reason they are sold at lower speeds. Otherwise the manufacturers will just do themselves out of sales on their OC version DIMMS.

With that said, and if you are familiar with the bios, mem timings, voltages etc, it's possible. I've my 2400mhz DIMMS OC to 2733mhz. It took a little playing around to get them stable.

You need voltage control though to achieve OC'ing standard DIMMS. Up the mem voltage to 1.25 (1.2 default) and increase the mem speed by one notch. Then test with memtest until it completes 4 passes. Then increase the...
You should be able to OC the ram a little as the mobo should support DIMMS up to 2400/2666mhz at default.

However, if your DIMMS are rated for 2133, the chances of you hitting those speeds are slim. There's a reason they are sold at lower speeds. Otherwise the manufacturers will just do themselves out of sales on their OC version DIMMS.

With that said, and if you are familiar with the bios, mem timings, voltages etc, it's possible. I've my 2400mhz DIMMS OC to 2733mhz. It took a little playing around to get them stable.

You need voltage control though to achieve OC'ing standard DIMMS. Up the mem voltage to 1.25 (1.2 default) and increase the mem speed by one notch. Then test with memtest until it completes 4 passes. Then increase the speed again. If you fail memtest, then you need to up the voltage one more notch, or reduce the speed.

I wouldn't go more than 1.25v on the me and no more than two steps on the speed. Otherwise you could damage the DIMMS

Solution
May 21, 2018
Yeah, i have no xp with this type of thing. I think my best bet is to get 16gb of 2666 MHz instead of overclocking and maybe messing something up. Thanks for the reply :)

Last edited by a moderator: