[SOLVED] Can I overclock on this PSU?

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
Hi tom's Hardware,

I know that 450W is more than enough to sustaim my system on vanilla settings, but

I was wondering how much overclock possiblity I can have on my CPU and RAM
with Seasonic FOCUS PLUS 550W 80+ Gold PSU , im contemplating between 550 and 650

My system specs are as follows:

MSI B450 Gaming Plus
ASUS R9 280 DirectCU II TOP 3GB GDDR5 384Bit
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB
2TB WD 7200rpm HDD
1TB WD 7200rpm HDD
Ryzen 5 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 3200MHz
Two monitors at 60Hz
5 Case Fans
Corsair H60 Liquid cooler

Solution
Unless you return whole machine with BIOS in overclocked state, nobody can prove any component was overclocked.
Unless you force some crazy voltages and allow too high temps, nothing could happen to overclocked components, most of them have enough safeties to clock down and even shut down if overheated, you get ample warnings if it happens.
As far as PSU is concerned while overclocking power requirements rais only by couple of % which is well within a power margin of at least 25% that rated PSU power should be over highest expected system power requirements. More important is quality of the PSU. Needs to be more stable.
Unless you return whole machine with BIOS in overclocked state, nobody can prove any component was overclocked.
Unless you force some crazy voltages and allow too high temps, nothing could happen to overclocked components, most of them have enough safeties to clock down and even shut down if overheated, you get ample warnings if it happens.
As far as PSU is concerned while overclocking power requirements rais only by couple of % which is well within a power margin of at least 25% that rated PSU power should be over highest expected system power requirements. More important is quality of the PSU. Needs to be more stable.

Solution

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017

Thank you for the information,

I've bought Seasonic FOCUS PLUS 80+ Gold 650W Full modular

after a week of research, tech reviews and test data..

I think I've made a solid choice.

Reactions: CountMike

TRENDING THREADS