[SOLVED] Can I overclock some cores?

devilfox

Reputable
Oct 15, 2016
Hello

I' m new to over clocking and I'm wondering if it's possible to only overclock some cores

I've heard that when gaming the number and speed of each core is important.

I believe that when gaming some tasks are divided by as many cores as available while other tasks are handled by just one or two.

If I have a cpu that has 16 cores then I could see why having the first 2 cores running at a higher clock speed would be useful while the rest of the cores are clocked at a lower speed.

Is it possible to overclock a CPU in this way? Or is there a better way of gaining extra performance with a CPU with many cores/threads?

Solution
Hello

I' m new to over clocking and I'm wondering if it's possible to only overclock some cores

I believe that when gaming some tasks are divided by as many cores as available while other tasks are handled by just one or two.

If I have a cpu that has 16 cores then I could see why having the first 2 cores running at a higher clock speed would be useful while the rest of the cores are clocked at a lower speed.

Is it possible to overclock a CPU in this way? Or is there a better way of gaining extra performance with a CPU with many cores/threads?

So here is a question, let's say you can do this, how will you know what cores the CPU will be using for...
Hello

So here is a question, let's say you can do this, how will you know what cores the CPU will be using for what processing task exactly and what task that is running at the time could use a faster speed? For this to work you will need to start a program you want to run fast, tell the computer to only process those threads of that program on core 1 and 2. Then start a second program you want, tell the computer to run that on core 3, then another program and tell it to run that on core 5-8, etc...

A game also uses resources like core Windows, video card drivers, network drivers, talks to the mouse and keyboard, etc.. you want to have those run slower than they can for some reason?

Keep in mind that a computer even without visible running programs can have dozens or hundreds of processes running using the CPU, what are you going to be doing with those as to how you will be assigning them?

Just overclock the CPU normally and let the computer sort out what cores it will use, there are many many engineers and programmers that work on these things, the best you can do is mess up what they did not make it run better.

Last edited:
Solution