[SOLVED] Can I overclock the Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080?

Sep 27, 2018
So yea I got this card here
https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-RTX2080-O8G-GAMING/
Apparently due to the high static pressure axial fans, good PCB support, and humongous size this third party card is one of the best RTX 2080s out there. It has superior cooling than pretty much all other brands. I'm just curious if I can overclock this card no problem without needing to liquidcool it. I have a liquid loop for my cpu already I don't think I need to add one for GPU but if I'm wrong by all means correct me

Solution

Both CPUs and GPUs have built in safe guards. For example, at 100C an Intel CPU will thermal throttle. It will slowdown the chip to lower the temp back to a safe level. What happens to the computer is you get performance loss, typically a lot...
Sep 27, 2018

I guess, I was just wondering if I need to liquid cool it. I don't think so cuz the cooling on the strix 2080 is absolutely insane but you can never be too careful when it comes to over clocking

Sep 27, 2018

down clock due to thermals? Never heard of that... However if that's the case it is assuming temps will still affect the OC results when I use the rog strix card. I am asking if temps on the rog strix card will hinder OC performance or even cause damage

Both CPUs and GPUs have built in safe guards. For example, at 100C an Intel CPU will thermal throttle. It will slowdown the chip to lower the temp back to a safe level. What happens to the computer is you get performance loss, typically a lot of performance loss.

The same is for GPUs. Essentially, they are the same chip like your CPU, they just do different processes. You can manually set your temp target for Nvidia GPUs in EVGA Precision X. I think at stock it is set for 84C and that is a pretty good place to start. You really dont want your GPU running over 84C forever. Anything under 80C is perfectly fine for a daily driver.

The strix comes with a good air cooler and you will have no problem cranking up the voltage all the way and some decent bumps on the clock and memory speed without go above 80C. If it does, just update the fan curve and it will be running at a nice 75C, albeit just a hair louder.

Overclocking is not as "dangerous" as it used to be, particularly with a GPU. You really have to hit some crazy voltages or long term exposure to very high temps and remove the power/thermal controls. In short, you have to try to break it and even then it may prove challenging. CPUs, have a little bit more risk, but still not very much.

Running the chips at higher voltages and clocks for years can take some of the life of the chip away. So instead of it lasting 20 years it will last 15 years. That is not really a problem because by the time 15 years rolls around and your still rocking a 2080 you will have bigger problems in your gaming performance.

Solution
Sep 27, 2018

ok i see, so I guess you are trying to say risk wise the concern is unnecessary. That is very good, however what about performance? Will a custom liquid cooling loop get a lot more performance than just the strix cooler?

No, it wont give much, if any performance at all. A liquid cooler would just remove the thermal barrier, but you will still have the limitations of the chip. The Strix has a very good air cooler and with an aggressive fan curve it will sustain the chips highest overclock possible while keeping your temps below throttle levels. So basically, you dont have a thermal barrier now.

Custom loops are much more for aesthetics than anything else. They will keep your components cooler, but your performance wont change if your GPU is 75C or 55C. Both temps are perfectly safe under load.

Reactions: rhughes1990
Sep 27, 2018

ok thanks for the info! According to JayzTwoCents' benchmark on the strix card the temps were mid 50s at maximum overclock and fancurve however it is an open air test bench so idk how will temps vary when I put the card in a corsair crystal 570x