[SOLVED] Can I overclock with a Foxconn 2ABF motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2020
I currently have:
Intel Core i3-3240
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050ti
8GB DDR3 1600mhz

I wish to upgrade CPU to handle modern games like COD: Warzone. Am thinking something like the i7-2600k.

All running on my Foxconn 2ABF motherboard with Windows 10 - where the problem starts. My current BIOS version is from 12/01/2015 and seems to be missing lots of features including CPU overclock. It's also Legacy, which I don't know how to change. The HP website has no more support for BIOS updates for this mobo as they think it's only compatible with Win 8 and below, even though I'm running on Win 10 absolutely fine.

My question is, is there a way for me to get a nice newer BIOS version for this mobo with features like overclocking, or should I save my money and get a non K version CPU? Thanks a lot.

Jul 23, 2020
hp prebuild? no overclock
how come?
I'm not sure it is a HP prebuild - it doesn't look like the HP 3500 series it says it is (it's got a GameMax case etc). It just seems to be a custom gaming tower put together by a small business on the cheap - my friend bought it off ebay, again making it unlikely to be oficially HP.

Jul 23, 2020
Unless Foxconn are a subsidiary of HP there aren't any HP parts. Is it possible to flash another brand's hopefully more recent uefi bios (like MSI or something) in order to get newer features?

Jul 23, 2020
foxconn make oem motherboard for lot of prebuild.
look like it is from Hewlett-Packard HP Pro 3500 Series
https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/3018929

and no, you can't flash other bios to different motherboard.
So is there no way for me to get some newer bios software onto this motherboard for overclocking etc :/ . If so would you recommend I upgrade mobo first, to something like an Asus or MSI, get a newer bios and then I can get CPU and more ram down the line?

Jul 23, 2020
I know the CPU can't, as I said I was originally thinking of upgrading to a 2600k. I can't afford a whole new system. Does it sound like a better idea to save up and replace the motherboard, CPU and ram all in one go to get to newer technology than just upgrading to an older i7 now?

Status
Not open for further replies.