Question Can I overclock?

Apr 6, 2019
I have a core i7-870 cpu, a gtx 480 (soon to be rx580), a tx850 psu, 16gb of hyper x ddr3, a 240gb ssd, 1tb firecuda hdd, and a dq57tm motherboard. My question is wether or not I can overclock my cpu safely on this motherboard, and if not than what motherboard can I use to safely overclock?

No, you cannot overclock on that configuration with that board and CPU. It might be possible to do a small amount of front side bus overclocking but the benefit would be so minimal as to be a waste of time and that board won't support any overclocking in any case. It would also likely create problems with other hardware as the front side bus on that chipset is used for more than the CPU. USB, PCI and other sub systems use it as well.

Even if you could the gains would be minimal AND you'd need substantially better than stock cooling. Money that would be far better spent being put towards a new platform since that CPU and motherboard are about 10 years old.

Apr 6, 2019
No, you cannot overclock on that configuration with that board and CPU. It might be possible to do a small amount of front side bus overclocking but the benefit would be so minimal as to be a waste of time and that board won't support any overclocking in any case. It would also likely create problems with other hardware as the front side bus on that chipset is used for more than the CPU. USB, PCI and other sub systems use it as well.

Even if you could the gains would be minimal AND you'd need substantially better than stock cooling. Money that would be far better spent being put towards a new platform since that CPU and motherboard are about 10 years old.
Ah ok thank you, also do you think getting an rx580 with this setup would be worth it or would it bottleneck due to my cpu?

What I'd suggest, is that you get a newer CPU, motherboard and memory. The graphics card you have already would probably offer terrific performance as is if you had a better platform to help it out. Any graphics card you could pair with that CPU that would not create a CPU limited situation would be a downgrade from the RX 480 you already have.

For the cost of a new RX 580 you could be well on your way to a new platform that won't be a bottleneck.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $257.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-15 23:58 EDT-0400