Question Can I overcolock my memeory to more than 3200Mhz?

lqw24

Prominent
Oct 9, 2019
now, I have ryzen 1400 and mb: Asua Prime B350m-a ,Memory: crucial 8G 2666Mhz*2.
I have overclocked my memeory to 4000Mhz with my friend's pc.So I am sure that my memory is good to 4000Mhz.
Now,can I overclock this memory to more than 3200Mhz with my own PC?Because that Ryzen 1400 says that it can support 2666Mhz,and Asua says that it can support overclock to 3200Mhz.
Can I overclock to 4000Mhz?Or only 3200Mhz?Or only can work at 2666Mhz?
Thanks for you can reply to me.Sorry for that I'm a new boy.

now, I have ryzen 1400 and mb: Asua Prime B350m-a ,Memory: crucial 8G 2666Mhz*2.
I have overclocked my memeory to 4000Mhz with my friend's pc.So I am sure that my memory is good to 4000Mhz.
Now,can I overclock this memory to more than 3200Mhz with my own PC?Because that Ryzen 1400 says that it can support 2666Mhz,and Asua says that it can support overclock to 3200Mhz.
Can I overclock to 4000Mhz?Or only 3200Mhz?Or only can work at 2666Mhz?
Thanks for you can reply to me.Sorry for that I'm a new boy.
All I can say is try and see, it's theoretically possible but on that system, above 3200MHz you are running into diminishing returns fast, maybe even with overall performance loss and stability problems. 300 chipset series MBs had problem with memory slot routing which was fixed with 400 series chipset MB's.

Reactions: RodroX
What CountMike wrote. In fact what you should do is:

1. Run some benchmark at 2600MHz and write down the results.

1. Try to get 3000MHz working
  2. Check if its stable
  3. Run some benchmark and write down the results.

1. Try 3200MHz
  2. Check if its stable
  3. Run some benchmark and write down the results.

If you don't know how to check stability, then first of all, you have to go read some memory overclocking guides!

Benchmark should be a mix of diferente workloads, like for example: CinbenchR15 or R20; plus a 1 or 2 gaming benchmarks + something like PC Mark. You can get most benchmark tools from thier oficial website, and most of them from https://www.guru3d.com/files-categories/benchmarks-demos.html.

But I also think it will be really hard to push memory frecuency higher than 3200 on an entry level B350 motherboard.

Important: Remember OC can dmg your hardware if youre not sure what youre doing, do ti at your own risk.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Can you? Probably. Should you? Maybe not. Ryzen infinity fabric is based on DDR speeds, so in effect you are also OC the cpu ability by bumping ram speeds. 2933 was the sweet spot for first gen Ryzens, although many pushed theirs to 3200. Some ppl had success, some didn't.

The other issue is the mobo. It's built to handle upto 3200MHz transmissions without data loss or corruption. Above that is a guessing game as to just how well it was designed and trace implementation.

You'd be pushing beyond the boundaries into no-man's land, nobody can say for sure exactly what's going to happen or if it'll even do it and maintain data integrity and stability.

It's possible and certainly worth the effort.

Running Ryzen 1600 on x370 with Hynix D chips at 3333CL14 myself.