Can I overlock my CPU and GPU?

StarePing

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
Hello, I want to overclock my CPU and GPU and I just want to know if I can do that with my current build, maybe some tips for overclocking as well :)

GPU : GIGABYTE GTX 960 G1 GAMING 4GB
CPU : FX 8370 4ghz
MOTHERBOARD : GIGABYTE 990XA-UD3
PSU : HIGH POWER Element Bronze II 700W
3 case fans running at 2000 rpm
RAM : 8GB DDR3

Well, that's it :)
Can I overclock both, the CPU and the GPU guys? :)

Have a nice day!

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
had my 8350 @ a very stable 4.8Ghz. definitely need a GOOD CPU cooler, NOT the stock AMD.

install MSI Afterburner or if Gigabyte has an overclocking tool for the GPU. then search for GPU overclocking guide.

StarePing

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015

Hey, I've got a Cooler Master S400
Do you think it'll get the job done?

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
i would get a 2nd fan for the opposite side of the cooler's fins = push\pull configuration. and try to point it towards a case outtake fan. think those are 100mm fans but if hard to find just use 120mm.
i would actually contact Cooler Master about getting the correct attachments & fan but you should be able to rig something yourself fairly easy.

used a similar, though slightly bigger, CM 212 EVO while at 4.8GHz and never passed 57°C with intense gaming.

migronesien

Honorable

Yep, Cooler Master makes some nice mid level coolers, which are totally fine for some OCing. Maybe dont aim for +0,8Ghz in just one step you'll have to find out where your CPU is fine. Id try 4,5Ghz.

And yes, you can also OC your GPU. I would recommend using EVGA Precision X instead of MSI Afterburner. But this is just personal preference + MSI Afterburner almost destroyed my SLI setup once so never using that again.
It's also easier to display stuff ingame with EVGAs tool in my opinion.
Dont raise the voltage of the GPU though. It's normal to raise it a bit while OCing CPUs but GPUs usually dont need a higher voltage expect you aim for really high OCing.

StarePing

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015

All right, I'll try that! :)

Just one more thing, Gigabyte has this OC GURU II
Is it good? I'll go with EVGA's tool if that doesn't work well :p

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
all of them(OC utilities) work. it's just a matter of opinion on which one has the better\more user friendly interface. and no OC utility can damage components on it's own, it's up to the user to do that themselves. most cards do need a voltage increase for over 50MHz memory increase. a lot of users even recommend turning it up 10% for stock clock speeds.
i would just look up a guide to GPU overclocking and not listen to any individual user, myself included. can find many guides here on Tom's, and look for one that has a lot of positive comments\votes.

migronesien

Honorable
Can't answer that, because i never used OC GURU. :p
I only know MSIs and EVGAs and definitively suggest using EVGAs if it comes down to these two. :)
These two are most commonly used too i think so it should be easier to find a guide or something like that if you want to look something specific up.

Edit: more voltage on the GPU for 50mhz memory+? Holy shit that must have been some really bad chip. Im currently running +104 core (104 just to get it to an even number :D ) and +300 memory without increasing the voltage and without any problems. :)

StarePing

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015

I'm trying to gather all everyone says and judge by myself what I'll do :)
That being said, you are right, I'll look up a guide and hopefuly I'll get to OC them :D

Thanks!

Latest posts