Question Can I paint my ram?

Apr 13, 2023
I saw a tiktok that said you can take off a rams casing then paint it and put it back on soI was wondering if that was ok to do, or would it affect anything?

This was way easier back in the day when the heatspreaders were clipped on, but nowadays they are almost always stuck on with adhesive thermal tape. While masking and painting them without disassembly is possible with some care, be aware that the act of peeling off masking tape can generate thousands of volts.

Theoretically it should run a bit hotter as the paint insulates, but honestly heatsinks on RAM are mostly aesthetic anyway, mostly being used to just denote a premium product to the buyer. As opposed to a heatsink for a M.2 SSD which can really be needed to avoid thermal throttling

Just don't do it like this, or if you do be sure to put it on tiktok:
full

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
To be fair, prior DDR never got warm enough to even require a heat spreader, but higher speed DDR4 and DDR5 especially can and does benefit from a heat spreader.

So that said, a thin paint layer wouldn't affect the ability enough to worry about, but a thick layer, or several coats could potentially make use of the heat spreader next to pointless as it'll become an insulator instead of a soak

Last edited:
The original use for heatspreaders was for Rambus, which could indeed concentrate enough heat on one part of a chip to damage it, hence the heatspreader to spread it around--but the whole module did not appreciably get warm so no fins or anything were required.

High speed DDR5 can consume >8w per module which is even more than the typical blazing hot M.2 SSD, but at least the surface area is much greater. When packed together, the DIMMs can get quite warm without adequate ventilation, but if there is even a slight airflow then a layer of paint should not really make much difference.

D

Deleted member 2947362

The original use for heatspreaders was for Rambus, which could indeed concentrate enough heat on one part of a chip to damage it, hence the heatspreader to spread it around--but the whole module did not appreciably get warm so no fins or anything were required.

High speed DDR5 can consume >8w per module which is even more than the typical blazing hot M.2 SSD, but at least the surface area is much greater. When packed together, the DIMMs can get quite warm without adequate ventilation, but if there is even a slight airflow then a layer of paint should not really make much difference.
Not only that, the heat spreader's are held on with four rivets to ensure good contact!!, well they are on the sticks I still have, and they right in front of me lol

like the 256meg Samsung's (MR 16R1628DF0-CT9 1066-32P) sticks

And the 128meg NEC MC-4R128CPE6C-854 sticks

The sticks even have a WARNING HOT on them lol

Just tape off contacts with quality masking tape (the one that leaves no residue) and lightly coat heat spreaders using a spray can lacquer paint, Paint from spray cans is very fine and thin, it will not change thermals.