Question Can I pair 2 sticks of 4GB RAM with 2 sticks of 8GB RAM?

alfiepike0212

Prominent
Aug 9, 2018
So it is coming up to Christmas and I was planning on purchasing some more RAM for my PC. Currently, I have 2 sticks of 4GB RAM in the 1st and 3rd RAM slots on my motherboard and I was planning to buy 2 sticks of 8GB to add 16GB of RAM, and pairing all of the sticks for a total of 24GB of RAM. I was just wondering is it okay to do this, without causing any damage to my PC, as they are different sizes?

TL/DR: Can I pair 2x4GB RAM with 2x8GB RAM to make 24GB RAM?

It won’t damage anything. However it may or may not work. Mixing RAM that wasn’t bought from a single matched kit always has a risk of stability issues even if you buy the exact same make and model. The more difference between the sticks the more likely you are to have stability issues. You can do your own testing without risk of damage but it is trial and error if it works correctly or not.

alfiepike0212

Prominent
Aug 9, 2018
It won’t damage anything. However it may or may not work. Mixing RAM that wasn’t bought from a single matched kit always has a risk of stability issues even if you buy the exact same make and model. The more difference between the sticks the more likely you are to have stability issues. You can do your own testing without risk of damage but it is trial and error if it works correctly or not.
Okay thank you! I will most likely still buy the 2x8GB RAM but if it causes any stability issues I can just remove my current 2x4GB sticks and only use the new 2x8GB sticks, as it is still an upgrade!