Can I pick where to install Windows 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacAtat007

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
I want to install Windows 10 preview on my PC but am nervous to do it because it's my only PC. Right now I have 3 drives in my PC, a SSD for my OS (Win 7), a 1 TB HDD for storage and an old 256 GB drives that is empty. I wanted to install Windows 10 on the empty drive and boot off of that to see what Windows 10 is like but first wanted to make sure I can select where Windows will install so it doesn't wipe my C: drive. I was also wondering if it's just as simple as going into BIOS and selecting the Windows 10 drive as the boot drive and if any problems could come from that. Thanks.

Solution

Yes you can.
In the Windows install routine, you select which drive to install to.

However....
If you do this with all of your drives connected, the...

USAFRet

Titan

Yes you can.
In the Windows install routine, you select which drive to install to.

However....
If you do this with all of your drives connected, the Windows 10 boot manager will take over the boot selection process.
You will end up with a menu like this:
KwPeHXe.jpg

The ensuing problem lies in when the Tech Preview dies (Oct 1, 2015). You will be stuck with that menu.

Way around this?
Disconnect all drives except the one you want Win 10 on.
Then, to choose which OS to boot into, you choose in the BIOS every time.

There are a few tools that will allow you to edit the boot process, but that is a different discussion.

Solution

drtoast

Honorable
May 10, 2013
What happens to the product key at this point? if you have your qualifying install on another drive?

Does it mean if you ever have an issue with win7 you have to buy a new copy to re-install?

And how would you manage to boot with all but the intended drive installed? As at that point you wouldnt have a drive with qualifying OS connected to commence download?

I ask as i dont want to loose win7 on this pc right now incase of issues and its the only one in house strong enough to deal with win 10 for testing.

USAFRet

Titan

No. From the OP's description, his Win 7 is still fully valid. 10 TP is going on a whole other drive.
It's just more of a pain, because you have that non-existent Win 10 TP hanging out there, messing up the boot menu.

How to boot? You boot from the Win 10 install media. Just like any other OS install.

Now...if you blow away your Win 7 to install the Win 10 TP...you'd have to reinstall Win 7 to qualify for the free upgrade to 10 RTM.

drtoast

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Ok, So my current layout is Win 7 on SSD, and a mirror on a HDD.

Im guessing it would be... unfortunate to put win10 on the mirror drive, because of possible complications.
So If i were to get a new drive, to put 10 on and disconnect my other drives, I have no OS to sign up for testing surely?

I think I am confusing myself :p

I havent downloaded win10 yet, for the reason that it confuses me how to go about this.

Does the build come as files to burn to disc to boot from or just it DL and "update" your current copy?

I also thought that if you took the test build it assigned your product key from your current OS to the new win10, and wouldnt work again for the old OS?

USAFRet

Titan

You download an ISO file. This you burn to DVD or USB stick.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso
Use that to install.

Currently, it is a full standalone OS install. No Upgrade from your current Win 7.

End of next month, when it is actually released, you can either Upgrade your current Windows 7, or obtain an ISO, and install it that way for a clean install.

Status
Not open for further replies.