[SOLVED] Can i piece this components together ?

Apr 1, 2020
Hi, im trying to build a budget pc for gaming, REALLY budget, around 300 euros, and i have figured out the components i want, but i want to know if they are all compatible. I tested in various sites but they give mixing and inconclusive results, so i wanted to know if any of you could help me. Also, im pretty sure this could run most popular games at a decent lvl, but tell me if you see any problem with it. Aditionally, if you know any very similar components that are cheaper or better but slightly more expensive, tell me.

The components are:
rx 480 4gb gpu (80 euros)
E3 1230 cpu (35 euros)
Some random 480gb ssd (50 something euros)
GA-H61M-S1 motherboard(30 euros)
Some random 2x18gb ddr3 ram (50 something euros)
Soplay spl 290L cooler (15 euros)
Evga psu 550 watt (50 euros)
Any case that fits it, wich i would guess is a micro atx, but might go for a normal atx, for extra cable space and all

Solution
I am not sure that a 'zen or Core build could be made sub 300 (euro), new. Maybe if some used parts cropped up, but IMO the motherboard and particularly memory that he would want for gaming would easily eat up budget.
In the long run, new would absolutely be the way to go though.

If I had to do a 300 system for gaming and had no parts around to re-use, I would get a used Intel i5 3rd, 4th or 5th gen tower with a 300+ watt power supply and get a used RX 580 card which are about 120. That should be right at 300, maybe 330. Building a system around a CPU much older will just cause a lot of dead-ends with speed and available upgrades. Even early i7 systems can be found under 200.

Don't know if pricing is same in all areas, but...
Apr 1, 2020
The E3 1230 is listed on that motherboards supported CPU list on BIOS F5. The motherboard is Micro ATX. It does NOT support ECC memory, so make sure to watch for that.

Ty for the fast response. So does that mean that the only issue I might have is with ram? And since it can't support ecc memory, do regular sticks work, or should I actively look for some that fit the criteria? Do you recommend any specific ram?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020
ECC is "server" memory, error correcting. Funny enough it's way cheaper. Non ECC is "regular" memory. It will work fine.
Oh OK, ty, just 1 more thing on ram. Do you think 16gb is too much for my other components? I have read 16gb is optimal for gaming, but my gpu and cpu aren't great, so I think 16 might be too much. I though of getting 12gb with 4+4+2+2, but all of those together cost as much as 16 and I don't know if 8 isn't too little.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Don't use a low end CPU for gaming, get a least a Ryzen 3 or maybe an Intel i3 CPU. Or get a Ryzen 5 and use the onboard graphics till you save up some more money for a video card.

I am not sure that a 'zen or Core build could be made sub 300 (euro), new. Maybe if some used parts cropped up, but IMO the motherboard and particularly memory that he would want for gaming would easily eat up budget.

If I had to do a 300 system for gaming and had no parts around to re-use, I would get a used Intel i5 3rd, 4th or 5th gen tower with a 300+ watt power supply and get a used RX 580 card which are about 120. That should be right at 300, maybe 330. Building a system around a CPU much older will just cause a lot of dead-ends with speed and available upgrades. Even early i7 systems can be found under 200.

Don't know if pricing is same in all areas, but I just today bought a Ryzen 5 1600 and a motherboard with it for $150, that is a super cheap start to a great cheaper gaming setup. Although adding the rest of the components with a 300 budget if someone does not have existing parts is just about impossible with anything of a good quality.

Motherboard and memory speed is secondary to the core CPU and video card capability, you can build a nice system without a motherboard built for overclocking, but starting with a weak CPU on a very old platform is not a great way to go if the intent is modern games at past low at 800x600. LOL, CSGO at playable frames, sure. Anything more advanced, or games in the future, not so much.

Last edited:
Reactions: punkncat
Solution