[SOLVED] Can I play on 1080p 60Hz with a rtx 2070?

Nov 2, 2019
So I got a i5 9600k rtx 2070 system and I was wondering if my 1080p 60Hz monitor would affect it in a bad way. I mean, I only really want to play on 60 fps anyway, longevity is whats important to me but all I've read elsewhere made me think that this is a very bad combo and I shouldn't do that. I like 1080p, 60fps is all I want and as I've said, longevity is the important thing here, to play 3-4 years on high settings with this monitor.

Also, I don't think the gpu would bottleneck with this cpu but can you confirm that it wouldn't ? I got 16 Gbs of Ram at 2133Mhz, this shouldn't have any effect either right ?

Solution
Where your card is capable of well more in terms of resolution and frame rate, there is nothing about running at that setting is going to cause issue for you. If anything I would consider that the lowered expectation of the card and the resultant lower temps may well play to longevity. It's not at all uncommon for parts used within normal performance parameters to outlive their usefulness in terms of obsolescence.
Nov 2, 2019
As opposed to higher resolution? or 144Hz? When you say longevity are you worried that gaming at higher resolution/refresh will wear out your monitor? Or vice versa?
No, I am talking about how long I can keep up playing on 1080p ultra-high settings, I hope to get a good 3 to 4 years out of it on this resolution and refresh rate but all that I've read elsewhere makes me think that even a fixed 60 fps might be unachievable with a monitor with 60Hz refrest rate.

I am not really very knowledged in these areas, please excuse my dumb questions :)

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I am not sure anyone could give you a definitive answer on a question like this. No telling what the future may bring in game development. With the way things have been concerning software to hardware you will probably see yourself having to slowly back off quality settings but have no issue with the resolution. That card is well overkill for it as I am sure you are aware.

Just to take a glimpse at a possible scenario, look at modern bench info on the GTX9xx series, which was released in '15.

Nov 2, 2019
I am not sure anyone could give you a definitive answer on a question like this. No telling what the future may bring in game development. With the way things have been concerning software to hardware you will probably see yourself having to slowly back off quality settings but have no issue with the resolution. That card is well overkill for it as I am sure you are aware.

Just to take a glimpse at a possible scenario, look at modern bench info on the GTX9xx series, which was released in '15.
Thanks for the answer mate. While I am aware that it can't be predicted, we can just take a guess. Although my main worry is about 60Hz monitor hindering the performance. I am not entirely knowledged in this area, so would using a 1080p 60Hz monitor on say, a 2060s, cause any problems ? I plan on gaming on fixed 60fps by the way, with no intention of overclocking.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Where your card is capable of well more in terms of resolution and frame rate, there is nothing about running at that setting is going to cause issue for you. If anything I would consider that the lowered expectation of the card and the resultant lower temps may well play to longevity. It's not at all uncommon for parts used within normal performance parameters to outlive their usefulness in terms of obsolescence.

Solution
Nov 2, 2019
Thanks so much, you have no idea how long I've been looking for a definitive answer like this. I will go with this system, perhaps a 2060s instead as it won't make much difference since I will be always aiming for 60 fps on my 1080p 60Hz monitor

Thanks again mate :)

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Thanks so much, you have no idea how long I've been looking for a definitive answer like this. I will go with this system, perhaps a 2060s instead as it won't make much difference since I will be always aiming for 60 fps on my 1080p 60Hz monitor

Thanks again mate :)

Think of computer hardware like a wave. The software to run on it another wave, right behind it, overlapping it.
The newest items are on the tip of the wave. Most expensive, most capable, or the software which requires that just behind. As the wave rises the items are more common in the field (so to speak), more people using it. Mainstream. Then as the wave passes, lessened ability towards obsolescence.
If you are buying something to be 'future proof' it's almost always better to move out as far as you can on the front of tech to price. As a case in point with my reference earlier about the 900 series cards. If you look a 970 is still usable. A 980 even more so. A 960 much less so.....

Nov 2, 2019
Think of computer hardware like a wave. The software to run on it another wave, right behind it, overlapping it.
The newest items are on the tip of the wave. Most expensive, most capable, or the software which requires that just behind. As the wave rises the items are more common in the field (so to speak), more people using it. Mainstream. Then as the wave passes, lessened ability towards obsolescence.
If you are buying something to be 'future proof' it's almost always better to move out as far as you can on the front of tech to price. As a case in point with my reference earlier about the 900 series cards. If you look a 970 is still usable. A 980 even more so. A 960 much less so.....
I absolutely agree and I'd like to get the best my budget allows. I understand your point, more so because I am currently using a 960 :D

My only concern really was about the monitor and if it'd be a problem or not, since I have been using 720p all this time and have never wanted to upgrade it. Now I see that it won't, I can happily choose the best card I can and use it as long as I can.