Can I play Ultima Online with an acoustic coupler ?????

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online,israel.amix (More info?)

I cannot afford a modem.Will it work with an acoustic coupler ???

On 6 Mar 2005 19:59:36 -0800, insane_pile@yahoo.co.nz (Paul Eisner) wrote:

>I cannot afford a modem.Will it work with an acoustic coupler ???

Every month or so, using a fictitious name, this troll floods 5000
newsgroups (all cross-posted to a single low-traffic but unrelated
newsgroup) with superficially relevant comments. The purpose is to disrupt
with off-topic crosspostings.

Like all trolls, he means to annoy and disrupt. The tracking newsgroup is
the way he "keeps score" of how much damage he has caused. Don't put
yourself on display in his trophy case.

If you feel you have to respond to one of his posts, please don't crosspost
to his tracking newsgroup. In this case it is israel.amix.

Like all trolls, the way to handle him is to IGNORE him.

Take a few minutes of your time and check out the following score cards to
see firsthand what this perverted troll is doing. I promise, you'll be
amazed at just how active and perverted he is. You will see firsthand the
troll's work and his trophies. You will see into the sickness and darkness
of the worst troll on the internet today. Read some of his posts and look at
the headers. You will see than no newsgroup is immune. You will see
flamewars started, some containing over a hundred messages.

Browse the can.uucp newsgroup, his old score card, for Karl-Hugo Weesberg

Browse the is.matur newsgroup, his old score card, for Dan Simper.

Browse the scot.tld newsgroup, his old score card, for Bruno Beam.

Browse the israel.amix newsgroup, his current score card, for Paul Eisner.

He is known as the "anagram troll" because his fictitious names are often
discovered to be anagrams (for example "Dan Simper" is an anagram of
"Spiderman", Bruno Beam is an anagram of "Unabomber").

This guy is a serious troll with a serious problem. Don't be one of his
trophies.

Chances are that I don't subscribe to this newsgroup. I am simply monitoring
the newsgroups the Anagram Troll is using as his score card. Any posts from
me are a result of that monitoring. I normally only post to the newsgroup
being spammed, not to the score card newsgroup, thus I will not see any
replies directly to this post.

Above all, please do not allow him to start a flamewar or extensive
discussion in your newsgroup. He thrives on that. If it is too late, don't
crosspost to his score card newsgroup. That trophy count is his motivation
to continue trolling. Please help stop him in his tracks.

Paul Eisner wrote:

> I cannot afford a modem.Will it work with an acoustic coupler ???

Not just a moron, but a poor excuse for a troll.

--
2.3Sleeper: "Anyone know how to disable the daytime
running lights on a 2001 Crown Vic or on a 2002 GMC?"

SVTKate: "A ball peen hammer?"

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:18:55 -0600, "WindsorFox[SS]"
<windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote:

>Paul Eisner wrote:
>
>> I cannot afford a modem.Will it work with an acoustic coupler ???
>

> Not just a moron, but a poor excuse for a troll.

Besides, you still need a modem even when you're using an acoustic
coupler. I wonder why newsadmins allow any crossposting?

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 18:19:31 -0600, Michael Cecil
<macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:18:55 -0600, "WindsorFox[SS]"
><windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote:
>
>>Paul Eisner wrote:
>>
>>> I cannot afford a modem.Will it work with an acoustic coupler ???
>>

>> Not just a moron, but a poor excuse for a troll.
>
>Besides, you still need a modem even when you're using an acoustic
>coupler. I wonder why newsadmins allow any crossposting?

Saves bandwidth. They only store 1 copy of the message instead of
one-per-newsgroup. Believe it or not there ARE legitimate crossposts;
they're just drowned out by all the crud.
--
Paleontologists recently announced they have
discovered when Man first discovered language:

And it was BAD language.

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 23:32:49 -0800, OrionCA <OrionCA@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Saves bandwidth. They only store 1 copy of the message instead of
>one-per-newsgroup. Believe it or not there ARE legitimate crossposts;
>they're just drowned out by all the crud.

I don't believe it (that there are legitimate crossposts). Find your
newsgroups, read them a bit to make sure you're in the right spot, then
post your on-topic message to the correct one. If I was a newsadmin
again I would just have the TOS spell it out plain and simple - crosspost
and your account is terminated. No second chances.

Bah. It's all gone downhill since the renaming.

--

Michael Cecil wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:18:55 -0600, "WindsorFox[SS]"
> <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote:
>

>>Paul Eisner wrote:
>>

>>>I cannot afford a modem.Will it work with an acoustic coupler ???
>>

>> Not just a moron, but a poor excuse for a troll.
>

> Besides, you still need a modem even when you're using an acoustic
> coupler. I wonder why newsadmins allow any crossposting?

Is Gothic II out yet? I'm 3/4 of the way through Thief 3 for the
second time around and this looks pretty good.

--

"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 23:32:49 -0800, OrionCA <OrionCA@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>Saves bandwidth. They only store 1 copy of the message instead of
>>one-per-newsgroup. Believe it or not there ARE legitimate crossposts;
>>they're just drowned out by all the crud.
>
> I don't believe it (that there are legitimate crossposts). Find your
> newsgroups, read them a bit to make sure you're in the right spot, then
> post your on-topic message to the correct one. If I was a newsadmin
> again I would just have the TOS spell it out plain and simple - crosspost
> and your account is terminated. No second chances.
>
> Bah. It's all gone downhill since the renaming.
>
> --
> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
> http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/

o_O

(Both to the strictness of the TOS recommendation and to the (now-a-days)
obscure (and potentially flame-resultant) reference)

Eh, can't say I disagree, though ;->

--
psz