[SOLVED] Can I play USB video audio through the HDMI arc port to my AV receiver?

reubenno

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
Hello.

I currently have a Panasonic TX-58HX800b and I'm watching content from a USB stick plugged into the TV. I was wondering if it was possible to use HDMI arc on the TV to output audio to an AV receiver, and use that connection to play back audio from video files on a USB stick plugged into the TV.

I know that my TV cannot pass through lossless audio because it's only got a ARC not eARC, but I was wondering if this would be possible with Dolby Digital 5.1 sound (ac-3). If anyone has any experience I'd really appreciate you helping me. Thanks.

Solution
Hello.

I currently have a Panasonic TX-58HX800b and I'm watching content from a USB stick plugged into the TV. I was wondering if it was possible to use HDMI arc on the TV to output audio to an AV receiver, and use that connection to play back audio from video files on a USB stick plugged into the TV.

I know that my TV cannot pass through lossless audio because it's only got a ARC not eARC, but I was wondering if this would be possible with Dolby Digital 5.1 sound (ac-3). If anyone has any experience I'd really appreciate you helping me. Thanks.

Have you tried it? Did it work? You have the USB stick, you have the TV, you have the receiver.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I don't have experience playing audio content from USB stick out through the TV's ARC (Hope someone comes along who does) but theoretically it should pass compressed 5.1. If content on USB is already compressed, the AVR should be able to identify format passed on from TV and decode it.

Hello.

Have you tried it? Did it work? You have the USB stick, you have the TV, you have the receiver.

Solution