[SOLVED] Can I please find out if I have installed fans correctly?

May 1, 2020
I have recently installed two Corsair ML120s into my NZXT S340 (one on top and one on the back) and I would like to know if I have positioned them correctly for optimal cooling. I have installed them with the corsair logo facing into the case and the text facing outward for both the top and rear of the case. https://prnt.sc/s9ht8x Inside of the case facing down.

Solution
Usually fir balance of intake and exhaust, 2 and 2 is better. But you must look at the air flow pattern inside your case - well, try to imagine it. Is that likely to provide smooth air paths through the case, or would id creat odd tortured paths? It depends on what objects are where.

Another thought is this. Just a fan count won't tell you exactly what the balance is. I prefer to have slightly more intake capacity than exhaust, so the interior of the case is just SLIGHTLY higher pressure than the room. Why? For dust control. That way wherever there are small leaks of air in your case - around removable panels, at CD disk trays, etc. - air will leak OUT and not suck in plain room air. In the meanitme, you should ALWAYS ensure that your...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Case cooling means you need air to flow THROUGH your case. So when you mount 2 fans in different locations, you ensure tha one of them blows into the case, and one blows out. Normally the INtake fan is at top or front, and the OUTtake fan (exhaust) is at the rear. Your post says you have mounted them both the same, so they both are blowing air OUT. Check this with your hand or a small piece of light paper.

Nemesai was asking whether you have other fan already blowing into your case from another position. If so, we need mode details to help you balance the intake and exhaust fans.

May 1, 2020
I only have 2 case fans excluding CPU and GPU, (none on the front, just top and rear) they both appear to be blowing air out, so I'm guessing I need to flip one of them over, would this be the top one for air intake?

May 1, 2020
Thanks, would you recommend I put in more than 2 case fans, what's a good number of case fans, and say if I had 4 case fans, 2 on the front, 1 on the top, and 1 on the rear, would it be best to just use the single rear fan as outtake and have the other 3 intake, or split them 2 intake 2 outtake

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Usually fir balance of intake and exhaust, 2 and 2 is better. But you must look at the air flow pattern inside your case - well, try to imagine it. Is that likely to provide smooth air paths through the case, or would id creat odd tortured paths? It depends on what objects are where.

Another thought is this. Just a fan count won't tell you exactly what the balance is. I prefer to have slightly more intake capacity than exhaust, so the interior of the case is just SLIGHTLY higher pressure than the room. Why? For dust control. That way wherever there are small leaks of air in your case - around removable panels, at CD disk trays, etc. - air will leak OUT and not suck in plain room air. In the meanitme, you should ALWAYS ensure that your INTAKE fans have dust filters on their intake side to prevent entry of dust with the room air, AND you need to check and clean those filters from time to time. But those filters represent a small impediment to air flow, so the intake fans actually will deliver slightly LESS air flow than you expect for whatever speed they are at. Now, you can cimply ignore this issue. Or, you can connect intake and exhaust fans to different headers and alter the fan "curve" on the intakes to run a little faster than the exhausts for all the temperature settings. Or, you can ensure you have an ODD number of fans and use one more intake than exchaust. Or, you can arrange to have ONE of your intake fans a bit larger so it blows more air for the same speed as all the others. etc. For example, in your case, you could get ONE more intake fan for the front; you could even consider mounting both of those intakes at the front instead of one on the top.

Solution