Question Can I plug a 12v fan into a “regular” 12v connector on MOBO?

ucrsjj

Prominent
Apr 5, 2018
Can I plug a 12v fan into a “regular” 12v connector on MOBO?
The Asrock a320m Hdv says on the manufacturers site that it supports 1x cpu fan 2x chasis fans and that it has a 12v 4pin header.
i have 3 fans in my case. can i plug my third fan in the 12v connector or do i have to buy a 4 pin y-splitter. (the fans are 12v btw)?

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
If I understpod right, you have 3 fans (1 of the cpu cooler and 2 for the chassis) and you want to add a fourth one. The you will need a 4 pin splitter.
If, by chance, one of your fans is an Arctic F_ PST, then you should be able to connect any other fan to the other plug.

Trimis de pe al meu HUAWEI TAG-L01 folosind Tapatalk

ucrsjj

Prominent
Apr 5, 2018
If I understpod right, you have 3 fans (1 of the cpu cooler and 2 for the chassis) and you want to add a fourth one. The you will need a 4 pin splitter.
If, by chance, one of your fans is an Arctic F_ PST, then you should be able to connect any other fan to the other plug.

Trimis de pe al meu HUAWEI TAG-L01 folosind Tapatalk

I just found out that the 4 pin 12v connector is something intirely diffrent :(.

I have/will have 3 fans in my case and 1 cpu fan
The MOBO supports 2 case fans and 1 cpu fan. So i think i'll have to buy a splitter. Would the fans that are connected to the splitter run at the same speed as the other fan? or will the fan speed be half as fast since you're splitting the power?

Aug 8, 2019
I had my old psu go and I scrapped the fan from it and split the three wires then placed them into my one intake fan by color ,which is a 4 pin connectors then plugged it into the motherboard. It took a little force but it worked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ucrsjj

Prominent
Apr 5, 2018
I had my old psu go and I scrapped the fan from it and split the three wires then placed them into my one intake fan by color ,which is a 4 pin connectors then plugged it into the motherboard. It took a little force but it worked

So what are you saying?

Aug 8, 2019
450a1b802250ad2b2e57264b11e718f5.jpg

ucrsjj

Prominent
Apr 5, 2018
Since you will be connecting 2 fans in the same header, they WILL run at the same speed. If the header has 4 pins, the you can control the speed with software.
I solved the issue I had. The fans that come preinstalled in the case also have a molex connector besides their 3 pin. So I can just plug them in to the PSU! thx for all your replies! I did learn something from you all. have a great day :)