can i plug GPU fan directly to PSU via adapter?

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
hello guys.. recently i've found out that one of my Sapphire HD 7870 XT fans is not spinning.. it spins when i power on the pc for 1-2 seconds then it stops, also every time after i quit a game it spins for around 1 minute then stops again.

i've tried almost everything possible. and now im thinking of plugging the gpu fan connector directly to the psu, to see if that could make the fan spin normally again. so is it okay if i did that?

my PSU is Thermaltake 450w.

Solution

For a lot of GPU's, the fan only spins up when under load and it needs more airflow..

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013

thanks for your respond.. my PSU have only 1x6pin, so I'm using one molex and the normal 6pin from the PSU, and im using that since 3 years without having any issues.

USAFRet

Titan

For a lot of GPU's, the fan only spins up when under load and it needs more airflow..

Solution

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013

thank you, actually i tried different drivers, from 14.4 till 16.1 and nothing happened.. also its just one fan that isn't spinning, the other fan is spinning normally.

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013

i doubt that 7870 XT fan wasn't spinning from the beginning, because i noticed a temp increase by 7 degrees right before i discovered that one of the fans isn't spinning.

plus even under load the fan doesn't spin, it just spins right after i quit the game for 1 minute.