[SOLVED] Can i plug HDD with Windows on it to PC JUST to access files?

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Hi, i mainly got rid of all my PC components , but still have SATA HDD with Windows 10 on it. Can i plug that to motherboard of another Windows 10 PC and access files just like you normally would with USB Flash drive? Will there be any errors or conflict with two Windows?

Solution
Hi, i mainly got rid of all my PC components , but still have SATA HDD with Windows 10 on it. Can i plug that to motherboard of another Windows 10 PC and access files just like you normally would with USB Flash drive? Will there be any errors or conflict with two Windows?
As long as it is not trying to boot from that drive, no conflict.

But, you will likely run into Permissions problems, trying to access anything in the user Libraries.
And of course, you can't run whatever applications that may exist in it.

USAFRet

Titan

But, you will likely run into Permissions problems, trying to access anything in the user Libraries.

Solution

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

How can i make sure it doesn't boot from that HDD? i can check boot order in BIOS before booting to Windows, anything else?