Question Can I plug in a used SSD into a new PC?

giancua0

Commendable
Nov 22, 2018
Completely upgraded my PC except my SSD which is from my last build. Can I just plug that into the new PC or would that have any adverse effects? Should I just wipe the SSD and then plug it in? Any help is much appreciated! I have the Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB if that helps at all.

Reactions: Yogro

DSzymborski

Titan
Richie's advice is on-point. Windows installs are not meant to be modular in this way unless you have a very specific Windows-to-Go install. While it can work, there's a chance it won't work at all or that you're chasing gremlins for a year. Best practice is a full reinstall with a platform change.

giancua0

Commendable
Nov 22, 2018
Richie's advice is on-point. Windows installs are not meant to be modular in this way unless you have a very specific Windows-to-Go install. While it can work, there's a chance it won't work at all or that you're chasing gremlins for a year. Best practice is a full reinstall with a platform change.
How would I go about doing this?

Reactions: Yogro

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
You start your PC and make sure the BIOS is set to boot from DVD drive firstly in the Boot Order options.
You then reboot with your Windows DVD in the drive and it will start the installation process.

If you don't have an original Windows DVD then you can download an ISO from the Microsoft site and burn this to DVD.
You can also do the same procedure but write it to a USB if your BIOS allows booting from USB.

In order to enter the Windows key when installing you will need to firstly find out your current Windows key.
Either a sticker on your PC case, documentation that came with it will show the key or download the free Belarc Advisor utility which will locate and display all product keys installed on your system.

You then use this key when installing Windows onto your SSD.
Installing onto SSD is the same procedure as installing onto a HDD so just google a tutorial if you're unsure.

Andy

USAFRet

Titan
Read through this a time or two to get familar with the process:

Section II, Step 6 & 7 speak to wiping the drive of all previous contents, and continuing on with a blank drive.