[SOLVED] Can I plug my modem directly into the line that comes from the street?

Sep 26, 2019
Mediacom put down a new "drop" that looks like a big orange cable. They did this because my connection has been bad. They are saying that because my connection is still bad it must be the wiring in my house. I'm skeptical of this so I want to eliminate all outside factors and bypass the wiring to my house and plug my modem directly into the orange line coming from the street. Is this okay/dangerous?

Solution
It depends what that cable really is. Orange cable tends to be fiber but there are many other cables that have orange plastic.

If this is your standard coax connection there should be a connection point right outside the house. It generally by code must have a grounded splice to prevent lightning from entering your house. You should be able to remove the cable that goes from this connector inside you house and use a short cable to connect to the cable coming in from the street.
It depends what that cable really is. Orange cable tends to be fiber but there are many other cables that have orange plastic.

If this is your standard coax connection there should be a connection point right outside the house. It generally by code must have a grounded splice to prevent lightning from entering your house. You should be able to remove the cable that goes from this connector inside you house and use a short cable to connect to the cable coming in from the street.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS