[SOLVED] Can I power a 1080 ti with a TX550M Gold?

Feb 20, 2021
Full Specs:
i3 10100
b460m pro vdh wifi
16gb klevv bolt ram (clocked at 2666 mhz)
kingston a2000 1tb
r9 270x as a placeholder
aerocool aero one mini eclipse case
corsair tx550m psu

can i power a 1080 ti strix in this system? my psu only has 1 pcie cable with 2 6+2 connectors on it

i know there might be a bottleneck but its fine for me

Last edited:
Solution
Hi, OP. It is certainly doable to power up the 1080 Ti with 550W (provided you have the required power connectors without resorting to aftermarket adapters). It will probably do just fine, but a real stress test will reveal if the entire system receives enough juice. That said, an i3 10100 isn't exactly power hungry, though it might draw more power than TDP at times under heavy load.

As it stands, I have a 650W Corsair unit that powers up a Ryzen system with 1080, but that's certainly nowhere close in your case. It works perfectly in my use case, so take that as you will.

I recommend trying out PSU calculator from bequiet! as I find it's more conservative in power calculations compared to outervision.

In the long run however, I...

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Hi, OP. It is certainly doable to power up the 1080 Ti with 550W (provided you have the required power connectors without resorting to aftermarket adapters). It will probably do just fine, but a real stress test will reveal if the entire system receives enough juice. That said, an i3 10100 isn't exactly power hungry, though it might draw more power than TDP at times under heavy load.

As it stands, I have a 650W Corsair unit that powers up a Ryzen system with 1080, but that's certainly nowhere close in your case. It works perfectly in my use case, so take that as you will.

I recommend trying out PSU calculator from bequiet! as I find it's more conservative in power calculations compared to outervision.

In the long run however, I would suggest you get a beefier PSU later on to bank on the efficiency curve of the PSU, which both prolongs the PSU lifetime and also provide you a peace of mind.

TL;DR: It's fine, although cutting it close than I personally would like to.

Solution