Question Can I power my Asus Tuf B550M Plus WiFi II with USB-C just to update BIOS drivers ?

Feb 11, 2023
i have a new motherboard im trying to update bios. I have usb with drivers and all that set but does anyone know if i can power the motherboard with just the type c port to update bios ?
When i plug the type c with power it seems to power on just fine.

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
i checked 1-6 and it DOES NOT confirm or deny the question

(my advice is: dont do it if you can't afford to brick the board. call asus.)

i can say on my older ancient MSI board (usb 3.0a?) that "powered usb 3.0" is only supported after booting win10 and activating (driver/software activation). damage can occur otherwise to the usb port itself.

(as for usb-c i do not know if that requires drivers. as to flashbios - that might be true might not. it would required advance planning - it would not work by luck)

how many watts does the board say it consumes?

how many watts does the MB manual say these (usb 3.1?) handle each?

i would bet the initial indications are: will burn out, amps/watts don't match

(is cpu installed? will it be a consumer? can you update if no cpu is installed? and so on.)

i have a new motherboard im trying to update bios. I have usb with drivers and all that set but does anyone know if i can power the motherboard with just the type c port to update bios ?
When i plug the type c with power it seems to power on just fine.
So...do I have this right...you're back-powering the board through the USB-C port and it appears to operate, so now you want to know if you could then use the flash-back port to update BIOS?

Related...why is it so important to update BIOS in this fashion in the first place? Why not just wait until it's powered conventionally, with a PSU, as shown in the manual? You don't need either of CPU, GPU or memory...just a PSU to do it according to the manual. It's not like you'll be able to use it without the PSU in any circumstance.