Can I power my PC with an extension lead?

Paulw

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
My gaming PC is currently plugged into the mains supply but I need to move the whole setup across the room (about 5m). I also have two monitors that are plugged into an extension lead since I only have 2 mains sockets.

Can i plug all of these into one extension lead?

Probably a stupid question but I have heard extension leads can be dangerous. Thanks

Solution
Yes, using an extension lead is no problem. They are only dangerous when they are damaged, such as old, worn out leads that have been stepped on many times, or when the connection to the plugs become frayed and worn through. Damaged leads can be dangerous due to shorting from the internal insulation being broken, or they can overheat if the many of the wire strands are broken.

For a PC, at most the lead would be using 20% of the rated current capacity of the lead. If you use a nice new lead it will be fine. It doesn't need to be expensive or heavy duty, but keep it out of the way so it isn't stepped on (which is also a tripping hazard - probably the most dangerous aspect of extension leads).

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
Yes, using an extension lead is no problem. They are only dangerous when they are damaged, such as old, worn out leads that have been stepped on many times, or when the connection to the plugs become frayed and worn through. Damaged leads can be dangerous due to shorting from the internal insulation being broken, or they can overheat if the many of the wire strands are broken.

For a PC, at most the lead would be using 20% of the rated current capacity of the lead. If you use a nice new lead it will be fine. It doesn't need to be expensive or heavy duty, but keep it out of the way so it isn't stepped on (which is also a tripping hazard - probably the most dangerous aspect of extension leads).

Solution
use those outdoor leads rated for 15A should be enough.
the isolation is much thicker than in door ones.

If your total power draw is around 500w, you can pbbly get away with AWG 16,
ideally you want AWG 14 or 12, AWG 12 are commonly used as your house internal wiring