[SOLVED] Can I prepare desktop out of my old laptop components?

Mahesh Abnave

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2013
I have 9 year old Dell XPS 15 L502X. It has core i7 2630QM processor, 16 GB DDR3 RAM and 512 GB SATA SSD.
You can get the details here. But it is giving a lot of issues now. Like it flickers a lot and sometimes when it does not flickers at all.
It also flickers when booting, so I guess its not driver issue.
I have changed the screen twice, but the new one still does this.
Recently I have been using it by connecting to external monitor over HDMI with Second screen only option. But now it seems that it is not able to detect it. When I do Windows+P, it says it cannot find the second screen.
So I am thinking if I can take out its processor, RAM and SSD and put it in new chassis and motherboard. Is it possible?
I just dont want to banish these worthy components.

(Seems that I am looking for motherboard with FCPGA988 socket.)

Solution
I have 9 year old Dell XPS 15 L502X. It has core i7 2630QM processor, 16 GB DDR3 RAM and 512 GB SATA SSD.
You can get the details here. But it is giving a lot of issues now. Like it flickers a lot and sometimes when it does not flickers at all.
Recently I have been using it by connecting to external monitor over HDMI with Second screen only option. But now it seems that it is not able to detect it. When I do Windows+P, it says it cannot find the second screen.
So I am thinking if I can take out its processor, RAM and SSD and put it in new chassis and motherboard. Is it possible?
I just dont...
I just dont want to banish these worthy components.

(Seems that I am looking for motherboard with FCPGA988 socket.)

Are you mean build a desktop using Laptop component ?
No, you can't. FCPGA988 socket is build for Mobile/Laptop purpose. You will never find this socket on dekstop motherboard.
The only thing you can bring to desktop is the SSD.

Solution