Can I prevent 10 from installing every driver known to man during a Windows re-install?

KublaiKhan

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
A recent Windows 10 update wrecked one of our PCs, to the point that nothing runs for long without a lockup, without the monitors going to sleep, without a random reboot, or the sound crashing.

So I'm going to reinstall Windows 10.

One issue in particular is the way 10 will install every single driver for the 980 GTX, including HD audio, which interferes with the motherboard's audio.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening while Windows is installing?

And if this doesn't help, I'm installing Windows 7.

Solution
Hello... the Nividia cards have a "hardware Chip" and needs the HD driver installed... The "Trick" is to disable the MB audio chip first in your BIO's... save&exit do the install.

if Windows does not see the hardware it will not try and load anything for it... after you get Video card Display and the HD audio installed... and everything is Happy... re-enable the MB audio chip, and let Window complete the install for it. You can manually disable any GPU HD audio hardware in the Device manager if you don't plan to connect it to a TV/monitor speaker system.

Yes... Windows 10 is a new animal in the way it want to control updating and files operation on the OS.
Hello... the Nividia cards have a "hardware Chip" and needs the HD driver installed... The "Trick" is to disable the MB audio chip first in your BIO's... save&exit do the install.

if Windows does not see the hardware it will not try and load anything for it... after you get Video card Display and the HD audio installed... and everything is Happy... re-enable the MB audio chip, and let Window complete the install for it. You can manually disable any GPU HD audio hardware in the Device manager if you don't plan to connect it to a TV/monitor speaker system.

Yes... Windows 10 is a new animal in the way it want to control updating and files operation on the OS.

Solution

The very, very simple way to do this is to unplug the computer from the internet while you install Windows 10. That way it can not update ANY drivers during update. After it is installed make all of your adjustements and then plug it into the internet.

Colif

Win 11 Master

This... and do this step before connecting or Win 10 may decide its got better drivers anyway: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2763685/stop-windows-automatically-updating-device-drivers.html

KublaiKhan

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
Right. I think I will install Windows 10 while not connected to the Internet; that's how I built the thing last year, anyway. And I'll disable the updating of drivers before connecting.

And ten there's all the privacy concerns....

Hopefully, this installation will run better; otherwise, we'll install Windows 7.