Question Can I properly mount a 2.5'' laptop hard drive into a 2.5'' drive bay in my desktop

Jul 11, 2019
So, recently I made a case upgrade to a Bit Fenix phenom, and I ran into an unexpected problem. It turns out that in order to use all the case fan positions, you have to sacrifice the one mount for a 3.5'' hard drive. I've tried using other janky ways to try and get around this, but with my current components, it just won't fit. So, the only option for storage is using the vertical drive mount that can be put on the side. However, that that mount is restricted to only 2.5'' drives.

Sort of conveniently, I was going to get a new hard drive anyway, as my current one is just about full. But, I need a 2.5'' hard drive in order to make it work. While there are tons of options for 2.5'' hard drives, mostly in the form of laptop HHDs, I was wondering it was really possible to use one and screw it in and all that stuff.

Thanks

May 25, 2019
You might have an issue with the thickness of the drive. Need to check the fine print on your case, or just measure it. And, check the specs for the dimensions of the drive you are considering.

Unless you have some fairly exotic or obsolete hardware you probably have standard 6 Gb/s SATA on both sides.

Most likely you will have no problem.

Reactions: uchennawosu