[SOLVED] can i protect the power supply cord somehow?

luckydriver

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
i have my laptop on my lap all day while in my recliner. im probably in the minority there :)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B087D67BG5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thats the cord i use. the outlet on the laptop is directly at my right knee on the right side of the laptop so it comes out and goes 90 degrees over my knee then bends 90 degrees down to the floor where the power pack is. the last power pack i had lasted only 18 months. i have no proof but i'm wondering if its because of the strain on the cord where the existing plastic thats hard meets the flexible plastic?

before you say take the cord off all day , i cannot. it would run 1.5 hours on battery according to my battery meter. its a 180 watt supply that sucks up the juice. plus then it would take time to charge with the cord in, thus it would be pointless. so is there anything i can attach etc to maybe take off some of the strain?

Solution
Since you always use the laptop powered, take a piece of duct tape and tape the cable to the edge of the laptop.
Or, you could possibly find a charger with a straight plug.
Just dont pull it.
Be careful how you take it off/plugg it in.
The cord is flexible for a reason,it can be bent and it wont break,people are just not careful.
So basically be gentle when you plugg it in/take it out and dont pull it or anything.
If the cable is not long enough,find a place closer to the wall plugg so you dont stretch the cable.

luckydriver

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
no i wasnt clear. i NEVER unplug it. its not stretched. i cannot post pics here or id show you what i mean. its just that after the inch of hard plastic it 'falls' down my leg to the floor. has nothing to do with anything being tight or not long enough.