Can I put 3 ram sticks on my 4 dimm slots motherboard

nickxrb

Reputable
Jul 12, 2018
Hello! My question is in the title. I have an HP 6300 pro prebuilt computer and I'm pretty sure it came with 2+2gb of ram (I haven't opened it yet). I have a 4gb stick of the exact same speed lying around and wanted to put it in my pc so I'll have 8gb of ram. Can you help me? Will 2gb+2gb+4gb work as a total of 8gb ram on a mobo with 4 slots? Thanks in advance.

Solution
It's likely they will work. But possible they won't. If they are the same speed, timings etc, then just pop it in and see. It will either boot or won't.

I'd suggest putting the 2 x 2 gbs on one side (chanenel) and the single 4gb in the other channel. You might still be able to get dual channel that way, which would help.

If it works great, if it doesn't take it out and put the other DIMMS back where they were.

I doubt you have memory timings options with that system, but if you do, you can trick around and get the dimms to work, possibly.
It's likely they will work. But possible they won't. If they are the same speed, timings etc, then just pop it in and see. It will either boot or won't.

I'd suggest putting the 2 x 2 gbs on one side (chanenel) and the single 4gb in the other channel. You might still be able to get dual channel that way, which would help.

If it works great, if it doesn't take it out and put the other DIMMS back where they were.

I doubt you have memory timings options with that system, but if you do, you can trick around and get the dimms to work, possibly.

Solution