Can i put a combo of 2 different companies with the same speed?

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
hello everyone. i want to put a CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9 and A-DATA with the same speed - 1333 mhz. can i do it? or better not to? also, how do you like both of them? is A-DATA any good? corsair is my one of the most trusted companies in memory market, as well as kingston and OCZ, but the last 2 are expensive (120+), but this looks ok.

Solution
Oh that's just the recommended amount. I'm sure it's just cuz you would be dealing with a lot of big files at the same time is my guess. But I think you would be fine with 4gb, and besides, if it doesn't run fast enough you can always buy another 4gb set

maltenp

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
You should have simillar voltages and timings..

If you post specifications on your current ram along with specifications on your new ram it will be much easier to help you. By specifications I mean default voltages, timings (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS), memoryspeed(PC3-12800, PC3-10600 etc etc) , article number. These numbers are found on your hardware cases or if you ordered them online they are found together with your ordernumber in your emailbox.

Which motherboard do you have, and which memoryspeeds is it compatible with?

Though if you only have 2x1gb ram to begin with, id remove it and buy a new pair, unless you can find your old memory to a reasonable price. 4gb is more than enough in most cases.

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
i'm getting 2x2 gb corsair, and 3x2 gb A-DATA. both are 1333mhz. i don't know the timings and voltages. but i'll keep that in mind. thank you. motherboard will be (i think, if the second is better, please tell me) Asus P7P55D-LE (supports 1066-2000 mhz). or the second one (though i think it's worse) gigabyte ga-p55-us3l (supports 800-2200)

thecoolermaster

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
You're buying 10GB of ram? That's overkill, even 8GB seems overkill to me. You would be PERFECTLY FINE with just the A-Data 6gb kit. I would just make sure that they have heatspreaders on the memory sticks themselves incase you want to do any overclocking.

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
You're buying 10GB of ram? That's overkill, even 8GB seems overkill to me. You would be PERFECTLY FINE with just the A-Data 6gb kit. I would just make sure that they have heatspreaders on the memory sticks themselves incase you want to do any overclocking.
no, i'm just buying one kit so far. the only problem is that i want to try the UDK program, which requires for the "full speed" 8 gigs... or 4 gigs would be ok? http://developer.nvidia.com/object/udk.html

thecoolermaster

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I couldn't find any page that listed the requirements for that program, could you link me to it? I'm sure 4 gigs would be okay. What processor/motherboard type are you getting? Because you need to know what type of RAM to get, Triple Channel or Dual Channel.

With triple channel, I think you need GB's in multiples of three (3gb, 6gb, 9gb, etc. Please correct me if I'm wrong) and with dual channel you need GB's in multiples of two (2gb, 4gb, 6gb, 8gb, etc. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.)

thecoolermaster

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Oh that's just the recommended amount. I'm sure it's just cuz you would be dealing with a lot of big files at the same time is my guess. But I think you would be fine with 4gb, and besides, if it doesn't run fast enough you can always buy another 4gb set

Solution

TRENDING THREADS