Question Can i put a GTX 1650 in a Lenovo Thinkcentre e73 if I change the Power Supply?

Feb 24, 2021
I'm thinking about buying a used Lenovo Thinkcentre e73, with a i5 cpu and upgrading the gpu for some gaming. I've seen some posts about upgrading this computer model and some of them talk about the power supply not being able to supply enough to some gpus. What if I also upgrade the power supply? Then can I put a gtx 1650?

ps. Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm new to hardware stuff and this is complicated. :) thank you

It is not a dumb question.
Well it actually depends, some smaller models of 1650 that dont need power cables will likely work without even changing the psu.
What exact model of 1650 are you looking to get?
Note that current GPU market is trash and everything is really expensive.

Reactions: jjane123
Feb 24, 2021
Oh that's great then. I'm not sure which one I'll choose, I though of asking this first to see if I needed to limit my options, so I'm guessing not.. If you have any recomendations I'd love to know but the stores in my country - somehow - don't seem to have any 1650 available, I think I'll buy 2nd hand maybe (?)

Thank you so much for your time! :)

May 5, 2020
One of these 3 i suppose:

• Intel Core i5-4570S Processor
  • Intel Core i5-4430S Processor
  • Intel Core i5-4670S Processor
The GPU that he wants to get, GTX 1650 is much more powerful than the cpu and it will cause bottleneck, so I suggest not to go for this pc, or get older gpu like GT 1030

Reactions: Dj0gany
The GPU that he wants to get, GTX 1650 is much more powerful than the cpu and it will cause bottleneck, so I suggest not to go for this pc, or get older gpu like GT 1030
I disagree.
Bottlenecking isnt really a problem.
Any of those i5's is more than capable of handling even a gtx 1080, 1650 being a less powerful card will have absolutely no problems with this procesor.
I use a i3 3240 with R9 380, there is a noticable bottleneck, but that doesnt matter since i can still play all the modern titles!
Bottlenecking is just a nonsense imo.

Thinkcenter e73 comes in two forms, tower and small form factor sff.
Both have 180w power supplies.
If it is sff, you will need a low profile graphics card.
GT1030 is a reasonable upgrade over integrated graphics.
It is a 20w card with ddr4 ram and 30w with ddr5 ram.

GTX1650 is a 75w card that will run on pcie power only.
I would be hesitant with a 180w psu.

Oh that's great then. I'm not sure which one I'll choose, I though of asking this first to see if I needed to limit my options, so I'm guessing not.. If you have any recomendations I'd love to know but the stores in my country - somehow - don't seem to have any 1650 available, I think I'll buy 2nd hand maybe (?)

Thank you so much for your time! :)
2nd market is in the same situation pricewise sadly.

Feb 24, 2021
Hello, sorry I was absent. This pc is gonna my upgraded once in a while, I cant do a full upgrade now bc I'm a broke student eheh. I'm planning on upgrading the cpu as well so I'm not rly that worried about bottleneck.. Thank you for your concerns/recommendations! I wanted to know about the psu thing because I really want a gtx 1650 for later on, so I will upgrade the PSU and get the gtx 1650 at the same time. As long as my pc can fit a gtx 1650, I'm good eheh. Again, thank you so much, your comments were really helpfull, and I'm very gratefull for all this help. BTW it has a i5 4460s. :)

Hello, sorry I was absent. This pc is gonna my upgraded once in a while, I cant do a full upgrade now bc I'm a broke student eheh. I'm planning on upgrading the cpu as well so I'm not rly that worried about bottleneck.. Thank you for your concerns/recommendations! I wanted to know about the psu thing because I really want a gtx 1650 for later on, so I will upgrade the PSU and get the gtx 1650 at the same time. As long as my pc can fit a gtx 1650, I'm good eheh. Again, thank you so much, your comments were really helpfull, and I'm very gratefull for all this help. BTW it has a i5 4460s. :)
Be careful when choosing psu's.
Think of it like a 5 year investment (atleast).
Be careful when choosing wattage,since you dont want to regret not going with 100W more 5 years later.
Most popular/reliable psu brands are Corsair,Seasonic and EVGA.
All 3 have mostly good units,although there are some older units that are not good.
When you decide to purchase a better powersupply,be sure to come back to this forum and check it with experts.
Good luck!

Feb 24, 2021
Be careful when choosing psu's.
Think of it like a 5 year investment (atleast).
Be careful when choosing wattage,since you dont want to regret not going with 100W more 5 years later.
Most popular/reliable psu brands are Corsair,Seasonic and EVGA.
All 3 have mostly good units,although there are some older units that are not good.
When you decide to purchase a better powersupply,be sure to come back to this forum and check it with experts.
Good luck!
Oh I see, I will remember to look into those brand at my local shops. And before I buy I will do my research as well. you are very kind :) thank you for all this helpfull advice, I'll make sure to follow it all

Oh I see, I will remember to look into those brand at my local shops. And before I buy I will do my research as well. you are very kind :) thank you for all this helpfull advice, I'll make sure to follow it all
If you are unsure about a certain unit whether its good or not, you can always post a thread and somebody will help you.
Here is psu tier list,to give you a idea of some units:

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
If you're going to try to upgrade the power supply, you should research what options were available from the factory for whatever model you are thinking of upgrading. For example: Dell sells the XPS 8940 with either a 360W unit, or a 500W unit, depending on how it is optioned out. They have done the same in the past with other models. These power supplies are not generic ATX units, and cannot be interchanged with them. They are designed for the specific PC they are installed in. So while you can't swap in an ATX PSU into these machines, you can upgrade from the 360W unit to the 500W. I have seen a Youtuber do this when he wanted to swap the video card that the machine came with for a more powerful one and the 360W wasn't enough.

A point to keep in mind, though. Just because a prebuilt computer came with a certain video card as an option, doesn't mean that all retail cards using the same GPU will work. After doing some research, I have discovered that Dell contracted with MSI for the cards in the XPS 8940, G5 5000, and probably other models as well. The XPS 8940 and G5 5000 list the 3060 Ti and 3070 as upgrade options, but these are NOT the same as the cards that you buy at retail. They are lower power versions that work with the 500W PSU that Dell uses. I haven't researched the 3060Ti yet, but I did research the 3070 and found that MSI makes a version that only requires a single 8 pin and a single 6 pin to power it, where most other retail 3070 cards require either nVidia's 12 pin connector or dual 8 pin connectors. It's called Twin Fan, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere in North America yet, so it may be regional to Asia, Europe or some other part of the world, or it hasn't officially been launched yet. It is on their website.

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-RTX-3070-TWIN-FAN

So keep in mind the power demands of the card you are thinking of installing to make sure it stays below what the power supply can handle and that it has the same types of connectors that the power supply has. It shouldn't be an issue with a 1650, though, as long as it isn't a 1650 Super, as there is no external power required for these cards.

Last edited: