Question Can I put an i3-4150 on an Intel DH87MC mobo?

oozkaya121

Honorable
Sep 12, 2017
I had an old i3-4150 from upgrading my old Alienware PC, and I was building a budget build for my cousing, so I bought a used Intel DH87MC mobo a few days ago, and today it came in the mail. I put in the CPU did all the wiring, checked the RAM compatibility, everything, but the computer wouldn't post. I think the CPU isn't compatible, however, I'm not sure because when I looked at the compatibility, I saw that an i3-4150 was supported by an Intel h87 chipset and an LGA 1150 socket, which is what the Intel DH87MC mobo has, and so, automatically I thought it wouldn't have any compatibility issues, however, as I said, it won't post. Any suggestions?

oozkaya121

Honorable
Sep 12, 2017
...the i7-4790k works with the old mobo (from my old alienware) that I pulled this i3-4150 out of...

That means very little. Different motherboard manufacturers will have different support for CPUs. There's no reason to expect that if one motherboard supports your CPU, then another motherboard from the same generation from a completely different manufacturer will have the same support.

oozkaya121

Honorable
Sep 12, 2017
That means very little. Different motherboard manufacturers will have different support for CPUs. There's no reason to expect that if one motherboard supports your CPU, then another motherboard from the same generation from a completely different manufacturer will have the same support.
No, that's not what I'm saying; this mobo (the Intel DH87MC mobo) supported someone else's i7-4790k, and I have an i7-4790 in my old Alienware Mobo which I salvaged the i3-4150 out of, so, if the i3 worked on the Alienware mobo and if the i7-4790k worked on an Intel DH87MC mobo, AND an i7-4790 worked on my old Alienware mobo, it must mean the i7-4790k (obviously) works on the Alienware mobo, which means, in theory, that the new Intel DH87MC mobo I bought must support the old i3-4150 that was in my old Alienware Mobo, which has an i7-4790 in it currently (the old Alienware Mobo has the i7-4790).

I understand you perfectly fine.

The transitive property doesn't work here though.

Clearly on the MANUFACTURER'S published list of CPUs the i3 you have isn't supported. You've also tried it in your system and it doesn't work - seems like you've proven the manufacturer's list correct.

oozkaya121

Honorable
Sep 12, 2017
I understand you perfectly fine.

The transitive property doesn't work here though.

Clearly on the MANUFACTURER'S published list of CPUs the i3 you have isn't supported. You've also tried it in your system and it doesn't work - seems like you've proven the manufacturer's list correct.
Ok, well, the i7-4790 isn't on the list of supported CPUs, however the guy in the video managed to use an i7-4790 on the Intel DH87MC mobo, which makes no sense whatsoever.

Also, if you look at the video,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvEMiOcP2y4
, at 0:34, you can see that it is an Intel DH87MC mobo running an i7-4790.

Last edited: