Question Can I put HDD & SSD from old PC in a new one?

Tylajames2

BANNED
Jun 11, 2019
I am thinking about selling my current gaming PC which is only around 2 years old and was wondering if instead of going through the trouble of reinstalling all of my programs as I’ve went through that before, is it possible to move all of my files beside the windows files from my SSD to my HDD and do a reinstall of windows on the SSD then put the HDD in the new PC as well as the SSD. Thanks in advance.

USAFRet

Titan
Will it simply just boot up? That is a 100% maybe.

What OS is this?
Where did it come from?

Basically, there are 3 possible results:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks.

I've seen all 3.

Tylajames2

BANNED
Jun 11, 2019
"instead of going through the trouble of reinstalling all of my programs " ?

With a new OS install in the new system, there is no recourse. You must reinstall all the applications.

I maybe should have explained more, I have a licensed version of windows 10 which is on my SSD and I have a few games and programs on that also but not many as it’s only 128GB but I have a 1TB HDD which I have all the rest of my programs on. My thinking was could I move the programs and games from the SSD to the HDD and completely wipe the SSD while keeping everything else on the HDD then putting the HDD with all of my programs and such in the new pc. Thanks

D

Deleted member 14196

once you have a fresh new os on that SSD, it won't know anything about the apps you had installed on the HDD, even if you add the HDD later. Actually the Moderator just explained it in detail for you. For what you want to do, no, it is not going to give you the results you want.

You will have to reinstall all your programs.

Tylajames2

BANNED
Jun 11, 2019
So there is no way to put the HDD which doesn’t contain drivers or windows but only programs, games etc from my current PC to a new one? If so that is very annoying. Thanks again.