[SOLVED] Can I put in a new cpu without taking out the motherboard?

Jul 9, 2020
Fairly scared about messing something up. I am taking out my ryzen 3 and putting in a ryzen 7. I also have to put in the fan brackets (Cpu cooler requires it) is it anyway possible that I can install a new cpu without taking out my motherboard as well as put in the necessary cpu cooler brackets?

Solution
Im putting in a Ryzen 7 3700x. The cooler is a latch on. I think the cooler is a wraith prism. I got this pc used so I have to put on the brackets because the old cpu cooler is a screw on
Should be able to screw them on just don't push too much on screws when you are putting them in so you don't detach backplate.
Fairly scared about messing something up. I am taking out my ryzen 3 and putting in a ryzen 7. I also have to put in the fan brackets (Cpu cooler requires it) is it anyway possible that I can install a new cpu without taking out my motherboard as well as put in the necessary cpu cooler brackets?
Cpu is not a problem but cooler may be different story, depends which one it is. Cooler backplate is usually glued to the back of MB.

Reactions: MaskedVillian1312
Jul 9, 2020
Should be able to screw them on just don't push too much on screws when you are putting them in so you don't detach backplate.
Okay thank you for taking the time to answer my question. One
Ryzen 7 3700x may require bios update for your motherboard to work. You may need to update your bios first using your Ryzen 3.
just updated my bios yesterday. First time doing it since I got the computer

Jul 9, 2020
Okay thank you for taking the time to answer my question. One last thing I have to ask is, should I unplug everything from my motherboard? Or just completely shut off the power? And sorry for the last reply im new here and dont know how to navigate quite yet

Okay thank you for taking the time to answer my question. One last thing I have to ask is, should I unplug everything from my motherboard? Or just completely shut off the power? And sorry for the last reply im new here and dont know how to navigate quite yet
You can just shut power on the PSU, once you do that press start butt for few seconds and reset CMOS.

Reactions: MaskedVillian1312